General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Damnit Trip meter aint working..

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 12:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Damnit Trip meter aint working..

My damn trp meter will read 0009 or 0009 then it starts to roll to the 00019 and it gets stuck.. i can push it with a screwdriver or something to 00019 and the 9 will start going and go back to 1-9 and the 1 never moves..
Old 11-10-2006, 10:25 AM
TECH Addict

btump
Old 04-29-2007, 03:17 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you ever have any luck fixing this? I have the exact same problem. I'm working on my dash right now (changing to LED's), and I'm trying to get the trip meter working again too. The gear that drives the trip meter on mine was pushed out to where it was no longer contacting the drive gear. To fix that I put a tiny aluminum collar on the other side of the shaft so it couldn't be pulled away from the gear when it gets reset. That fixed the 1st problem.

Then I also used a couple drops of dry-film lubricant on the gears/shaft that I could get at without taking the unit completely apart, and that seemed to help a bit, but it does exactly what yours does. It will stop at 009|9, then you can tap the cluster a couple times and it rolls 010|0. It will then get stuck at 019|9 until you tap it again. I had it apart at one of the "nines" and it takes an unusual amount of effort to get it to roll-over at that point. Don't know if more lubrication would help or not... I'm just about to give up on it.

Anyone else have this problem?
Old 04-29-2007, 07:05 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jb442
Did you ever have any luck fixing this? I have the exact same problem. I'm working on my dash right now (changing to LED's), and I'm trying to get the trip meter working again too. The gear that drives the trip meter on mine was pushed out to where it was no longer contacting the drive gear. To fix that I put a tiny aluminum collar on the other side of the shaft so it couldn't be pulled away from the gear when it gets reset. That fixed the 1st problem.

Then I also used a couple drops of dry-film lubricant on the gears/shaft that I could get at without taking the unit completely apart, and that seemed to help a bit, but it does exactly what yours does. It will stop at 009|9, then you can tap the cluster a couple times and it rolls 010|0. It will then get stuck at 019|9 until you tap it again. I had it apart at one of the "nines" and it takes an unusual amount of effort to get it to roll-over at that point. Don't know if more lubrication would help or not... I'm just about to give up on it.

Anyone else have this problem?

i ended up getting a digital ODO cluster.. got 2 of them and 7 analogs.. i dont want to see another one of thes cars clusters again

Quick Reply: Damnit Trip meter aint working..