LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Need some advice !!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 02:04 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Angry Need some advice !!!

Ok. im planing on doing a tune-up on my 96 z28..i have bought all the parts needed and want to get them installed at a local auto shop.I have bought msd cap/rotor,msd wires,ngk tr55 plugs,felpro header gaskets(because the driver side gasket is screwed because of header leak and figured id go ahead and replace both sides)and donut gaskets. I called the auto shop to get an estimate on what it would cost and was expecting around $700-$800.. ...Well...the lady called back 15 minuites later and said it would cost $1050.00!!!!! and thats with me buying the parts!!!! screw that!!!!I hear this shop is really good though...do u guys think its worth it?

.....Thx
Old 11-10-2006, 02:21 AM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do it yourself. Thats all easy stuff man. The Cap/Rotor will take a few hours but nothing you cant do.

Tony.
Old 11-10-2006, 02:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

**** no, might take a saturday afternoon for the opti and plugs and wires but its not that bad, and header gaskets took me about an hour and a half, if you can try it yourself
Old 11-10-2006, 02:27 AM
Launching!

Any advice on making it easier to get to that damn opti?
Old 11-10-2006, 02:36 AM
TECH Resident

dude the opti is easy all you have to do is is drain coolant, remove air pump, remove water pump, and the damn opti is right friggin there its a total piece of cake sure it takes a little time but its nothing more than a six pack of beers worth
Old 11-10-2006, 04:22 AM
TECH Junkie

that sucks man , sounds like she needs a tune-up pretty bad
Old 11-10-2006, 01:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

definately get on some of the local forums and tell some of those guys if they come to help you out if you need it that you'll provide pizza and beer or something (and actually do it) and you'll have no problem gettin some help
Old 11-10-2006, 03:41 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Adam_346
that sucks man , sounds like she needs a tune-up pretty bad
If u only knew.....
Old 11-10-2006, 03:50 PM
11 Second Club

You should try and do it yourself. Like 1994Z28LT1 said, it's easy. I would try it as a learning experience. If I was close to you I'd help you out. On a level from 1-5 I'd say its about a 2. Just get yourself a manual, and take your time on it. Good Luck
Old 11-10-2006, 04:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Definitely a pain but, like they say, Its only the time consuming part to get other pieces and accessories out of the way first.

But think, take that money you save and get headers and exhaust! Or, take the $850 you were planning on spending and convert to delteq (assuming the optical pickup is fine and its just the distributer thats messed up).
Old 11-10-2006, 05:05 PM
Launching!

its accually a pretty easy job. Especially if you already have headers. The plugs are probably the hardest part
Old 11-10-2006, 11:29 PM
Launching!

Alright guys..thanks for the advise..ill try and do it myself..
Old 11-11-2006, 12:16 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

That price is really not all that high for a shop quote on that work. I've seen higher.

It's still too much but all that work does take a fair amount of time.

Like said, just do it yourself and save the $. It's not all that difficult. Just need some patience.
Old 11-12-2006, 03:07 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by infinitebird
That price is really not all that high for a shop quote on that work. I've seen higher.

It's still too much but all that work does take a fair amount of time.

Like said, just do it yourself and save the $. It's not all that difficult. Just need some patience.
Agreed. The labor hours that are in the computer for a 'tune-up' for an LT1 is pretty high.

If I remember correctly when I got a quote for my own entertainment one time, a shop told me the computer said 8 hours for the plugs and wires alone -- so that should give you an idea what a full tune up on an LT1 will cost. Its not cheap. Learning to do basic maint. on your car not only saves money, but it helps you get more confident when working on your car and tackle larger projects farther down the road. The only real thing you must have when doing any of that stuff is patience. Take a deep breath, take your time. Do it once and do it right. If you have to walk away from it for 10 mins to cool back down before starting back on it, do it. Also, don't be afraid to ask or use the search function. This forum is a great resource.
Old 11-12-2006, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WhyHelloOfficer
Agreed. The labor hours that are in the computer for a 'tune-up' for an LT1 is pretty high.

If I remember correctly when I got a quote for my own entertainment one time, a shop told me the computer said 8 hours for the plugs and wires alone -- so that should give you an idea what a full tune up on an LT1 will cost. Its not cheap.
holy ****! my little sister can get the plugs and wires changed faster

Originally Posted by WhyHelloOfficer
Learning to do basic maint. on your car not only saves money, but it helps you get more confident when working on your car and tackle larger projects farther down the road. The only real thing you must have when doing any of that stuff is patience. Take a deep breath, take your time. Do it once and do it right. If you have to walk away from it for 10 mins to cool back down before starting back on it, do it. Also, don't be afraid to ask or use the search function. This forum is a great resource.
this definately rings true when doing stuff on your car, plus that money you save can go to new go-fast toys.
a few beers will help keep you relaxed too, just not too many