Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Confused about head gaskets

Old 11-10-2006, 08:21 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Confused about head gaskets

Ok, so I have a 2001 Z28 which I am about to install a set of PRC LS6 heads on. The question is, which factory head gaskets do I use for this setup? I know they changed them at some point and I know there are both graphite and MLS gaskets available from GM. I just dont know which ones I need.

Also, is there a "kit" available to order all the gaskets I need for a head/cam swap? If not, does anyone know everything I will need to do it? I just dont want to get started and find I am short a gasket or two and be stuck waiting on parts...
Old 11-10-2006, 08:28 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found a kit that has all of the bottom end gaskets, which included all of the front and rear seals/gaskets, oil pan gasket...everything but head and intake gaskets. It cost 300 dollars from NAPA, i don't what GM charges. I used the MLS head gaskets, because Patriot and my builder both recommended them over the graphite. The MLS gaskets are reusable and both sources told me that the thin layered steel actually forms to any small imperfections just like the graphite does...

that's just my own experience from building my motor last month...good luck!
Old 11-10-2006, 09:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would go with the mls gaskets. as for some of the other gaskets most of them are reuseable.i know alot of peoplr recoment using new ones which is probably a good idea but we put together a few motors reusing the stock front & rear covers along with a couple more and had no leals.but it would suck to reuse a gasket and have a leak so do whatever you feel like. i think sdpc has gesket sets.

Search this Thread