Sponsored by:

Found Out Ticking Noise!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 03:47 PM
sac
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Found Out Ticking Noise!

After installing an MS3 cam kit with comp lifters Drove it for 200 miles with no problems until it starting ticking, and then took it back to the shop we took it apart and found out the lifter coallapse and ruined everthing the cam berings etc. The motor only had 15,000 miles, the shop called TSP yesterday and told them what had happend they said they would call back today still no word, just wondering if this has happend to anybody else and if anything was done about it, what really upsets me is that I have spent alot of money on this car just to have a lifter ruin everthing. Someone please help me!!!
Old 11-10-2006, 04:50 PM
TECH Addict

How does a collapsed lifter ruin anything, especially cam bearings?
Old 11-10-2006, 05:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd wonder the same? A collapsed lifter shouldn't do anything but tick. Change it out with another one and your good. If you have ruined bearings, there is likley something worse than a lifter that's bad.
Old 11-10-2006, 06:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would suspect the other way around. The cam bearing spun, blocked the oil passage, then the lifter couldn't get oil and, then collapsed, started ticking etc...

Mike
Old 11-10-2006, 07:19 PM
sac
Staging Lane

Ok I may have stated it wrong about the lifter I don't know much, the lifter looks like a halfmoon it has like little long round things sticking out one side and in my oil pan.The lifter grinded on the cam and they told me that the cam is trash.They have done plenty of cam&head install"s and have always used comp lifters they had never had any problems,again the motor only has 15,000 miles had good oil pressure never got hot.
Old 11-11-2006, 12:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

probably just luck of the draw or a shitty cam install. Maybe something in the oil filter too, u never know. I just built a 4.0 stright 6 stroker and the #2 #3 cam bearings at 2 oclock position are worn thin. Seeing as the bearings didnt spin, so the oil holes are lined up, the lifters push DOWN on the cam, then how the hell did the upper portions of the bearings get hosed? #1 and #4 are fine ???????????????????
Old 11-13-2006, 09:13 PM
sac
Staging Lane

still no word from TSP what a great shop and I always talk so good about them cause I have a few buddies that always talk **** about them and their products,always back them up.I spend all my money with them and still no word from them.I talked to the local speed shop that did the install and they said they been calling TSP and their just giving him the run-around.The shop that did the work are really good they work on everything ls1's and mustangs and imports,so I don't want any-one to say I had a bad install.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, the fact of the matter is that lifters don't ruin cam bearings as people have stated. Cam bearings spin or destruct if there is lack of oil pressure or excessive wear on them for other reasons (possibly something in the oil got caught up in there). However, that does not solve the problem of finding out how all of this happened. Good luck in getting to the bottom of it all.
Old 11-14-2006, 06:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

With this type of work, cleanliness is absolutely imperitive. Any small particulcate can cause a problem. If they held up the lifters with something that left pieces in the oil gallery, that could cause the problem. Not sure you can blame the cam for this problem, but pictures would help.
Old 12-07-2006, 05:14 PM
10 Second Club

Ever find anything out on this? I have personaly had lifters go bad on two differant LS1's and simply changing out the lifters fixed the tick without any other problems. on one of those I stuck a 233/239 in a car and immedeatly with the first start up of the cam the lifters started clackin due to the increased stress the new cam put on the already worn used lifters. if you drove 200mile before it happened i would suspect that it was a bad cam install and just took 200 miles for the debris to take out the bearings causing lack of oil to the lifters which took them out also whiping out the cam.