Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Solve My 2-3 Shift Problem And I will Send You $50

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 06:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Solve My 2-3 Shift Problem And I will Send You $50

To only one person of course, first one to solve it gets the cash.

Here is what is happeing:

I swapped out my 10 bolt 3:23 for a 9", 3:89. After the break in period I took the car in to have the car tuned. When on the dyno the car would not shift 2-3 at WOT. It just kept banging the limiter.

So, I was told they thought the 2-3 clutch packs were shot. So, I got a new trans and guess what. Still same thing shifts fine 1-2 but bangs the 2-3 shift and will NOT shift into 3 at WOT. Even in I lift off the gas a bit and then get back on it, same thing.

The person that did the tune has done a TON of high end, high HP LS1 cars. So, what can be causing this issue. I am so right now I can't see straight.

The shifts were fine before I had the rear done and the tune.

The MPH and RPM shift points are currently set at the following:

Shifts MPH RPM Rev Limiter
1-2 32 5,900 6,800

2-3 65 5,900 6,800

3-4 125 5,900 6,800

What the hell can be the problem?

I appreciate any help!

Bill

Last edited by Bill'sWS6; 11-11-2006 at 10:46 AM.
Old 11-10-2006, 06:36 PM
The know it all's know it all

Originally Posted by Bill'sWS6
To only one person of course, first one to solve it gets the cash.

Here is what is happeing:

I swapped out my 10 bolt 3:23 for a 9", 3:89. After the break in period I took the car in to have the car tuned. When on the dyno the car would not shift 2-3 at WOT. It just kept banging the limiter.

So, I was told they thought the 2-3 clutch packs were shot. I wanted to upgrade my tarns anyway. So, I got a new trans and guess what. Still same thing shifts fine 1-2 but bangs the 2-3 shift and will NOT shift into 3 at WOT. Even in I lift off the gas a bit and then get back on it, same thing.

The person that did the tune has done a TON of high end, high HP LS1 cars. So, what can be causing this issue. I am so right now I can't see straight.

The MPH and RPM shift points are currently set at the following:

Shifts MPH RPM
1-2 32 5,900

2-3 65 5,900

3-4 125 5,900

What the hell can be the problem?

I appreciate any help!

Bill
thats easy. the shift MPH is overulling the Shift RPM. You are always better setting MPH lower then the intended shift RPM as once the MPH is reached logic wise the PCM will wiat to shift then trans until the RPM come to the shift point. What is the shift timming table and shift pressure like ?

You could have a gear ratio error and the MPH is OVeruling the RPM values. Do you have the table data handy ?
Old 11-10-2006, 06:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

th350 will solve the problem, do i win ..j\k

a buddy of mine just had the same problem with the same gears.. i would try the line pressure if you have a shift kit then you need to tune the line pressure to stock too much line pressure can cause the cylinode (sp lol) to stick...
Old 11-10-2006, 06:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

ive herd a couple people just zeroing out the mph on the tune and just having it shift by the rpm..
Old 11-10-2006, 06:43 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by CollinsAutomotive
thats easy. the shift MPH is overulling the Shift RPM. You are always better setting MPH lower then the intended shift RPM as once the MPH is reached logic wise the PCM will wiat to shift then trans until the RPM come to the shift point. What is the shift timming table and shift pressure like ?

You could have a gear ratio error and the MPH is OVeruling the RPM values. Do you have the table data handy ?
Hey, I was going to call you and see if you could get me on the dyno and solve this issue. I am about to sell the damm car. I am going to email the place that did the tune and see if they will email me the file. It was done in EFI Live. Can you read that? Can you play with my shift points with your software without over riding my tune?

Can I get your number.

Thanks,

Bill
Old 11-10-2006, 06:45 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LMAO, guess you won't be using them for a tune again.
Old 11-10-2006, 06:45 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Show me the money!

Did your tuner enter in your tune for the new rear end ratio. He will have to enter 3:89 and the tire size and you should be good to go. Pm me for the info for where to mail my $50. Your welcome. Vince
Old 11-10-2006, 07:02 PM
11 Second Club

more info to add to this is it NEVER hit the rev limiter on teh 2-3 shift until on the dyno after the break in period for the rear end/gears. bill, did you ever floor the car before returning to that shop for the dyno tune?
and, the other part is after this happened on the dyno, they did try and mess around with the mph/shift rpm for the 2/3 shift. but Im not sure if they had the mph lowered BELOW the actual mph@Xrpm in that gear. I know he told me they lowered the rpm and mph for the 2-3 shift with out getting it to shift.
part 3, it has a trans go shift kit (like the old trans does) and this one has 3 washers in it since it has a 3800 stall. Im not sure how many washers the old one has in it. if the line press. is too high due to having 3 washers instead of the norm. 2 washers (under the accumulator)for street cars, why does the 1-2 shift consistently work, and the 2-3 shift does not? do you think we should try only 2 washers? what is stock line press and how could I adj. it if the washer does not lower it enough?
Old 11-10-2006, 07:05 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The washers for the 1-2 accumulator have nothing to do with the 2-3 shift. Look at the tune and see if the new rear end ratio was entered.
Old 11-10-2006, 07:14 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Vince @ FLT
The washers for the 1-2 accumulator have nothing to do with the 2-3 shift. Look at the tune and see if the new rear end ratio was entered.

The new gear was entered.

Originally Posted by Boodyrider
LMAO, guess you won't be using them for a tune again.
I am not bad mouthing the tuner they have a good rep. Maybe something simple was overlooked.

I just need this to be solved ASAP.

Last edited by Bill'sWS6; 11-11-2006 at 11:09 AM.
Old 11-10-2006, 07:16 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Irocss85
more info to add to this is it NEVER hit the rev limiter on teh 2-3 shift until on the dyno after the break in period for the rear end/gears. bill, did you ever floor the car before returning to that shop for the dyno tune?
and, the other part is after this happened on the dyno, they did try and mess around with the mph/shift rpm for the 2/3 shift. but Im not sure if they had the mph lowered BELOW the actual mph@Xrpm in that gear. I know he told me they lowered the rpm and mph for the 2-3 shift with out getting it to shift.
part 3, it has a trans go shift kit (like the old trans does) and this one has 3 washers in it since it has a 3800 stall. Im not sure how many washers the old one has in it. if the line press. is too high due to having 3 washers instead of the norm. 2 washers (under the accumulator)for street cars, why does the 1-2 shift consistently work, and the 2-3 shift does not? do you think we should try only 2 washers? what is stock line press and how could I adj. it if the washer does not lower it enough?
Never floored the car during the 500 mile break in. The new gear was input into the ECU.

I just don't understand how 1-2 works so well, 2-3 not at all?

Thanks Chris!

Bill

Last edited by Bill'sWS6; 11-11-2006 at 11:10 AM.
Old 11-10-2006, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Bill'sWS6
Hey, I was going to call you and see if you could get me on the dyno and solve this issue. I am about to sell the damm car. I am going to email the place that did the tune and see if they will email me the file. It was done in EFI Live. Can you read that? Can you play with my shift points with your software without over riding my tune?

Can I get your number.

Thanks,

Bill
Damn Bill I didn't even notice you were a local.I would assume you know how to get ahold of me. Its definately solveable
Old 11-10-2006, 07:22 PM
11 Second Club

I just sent him your # sean.
Old 11-10-2006, 07:30 PM

I just sent him your # sean.
Wow how many people know about me ?who are you ?
Old 11-10-2006, 08:09 PM
11 Second Club

Im chris, the white LT1 Z down the road from your shop. stopped by several times, sure you'd recognize me when you see me. will be bringing dads MECHAM TA back for a tune in a few weeks. need to notch the pistons before it all goes back together. hey, you got a tool for notching LS1 pistons? I ended up goin with a diff. cam we discussed due to wanting lower max power RPM. Matt said you stopped pulling at 6600rpm I think was the # and it was still goin up but was running out of fuel due to his stock inj.s and pump. gonna put in 30lb inj.s in dads car and will see how the stock pump hangs after you tune it.
Old 11-10-2006, 09:15 PM
10 Second Club

Everyone knows about you. LOL You tuned my dads 02 convertable Vette too (Spectra car).
Old 11-10-2006, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by WHPLASH
Everyone knows about you. LOL You tuned my dads 02 convertable Vette too (Spectra car).
I have been trying to keep a somewhat low profile here dammit.Hows it running ?Your Dad is Jim, right. I am glad the trans thing finally got worked out.
Old 11-10-2006, 09:26 PM

Im chris, the white LT1 Z down the road from your shop. stopped by several times, sure you'd recognize me when you see me. will be bringing dads MECHAM TA back for a tune in a few weeks. need to notch the pistons before it all goes back together. hey, you got a tool for notching LS1 pistons? I ended up goin with a diff. cam we discussed due to wanting lower max power RPM. Matt said you stopped pulling at 6600rpm I think was the # and it was still goin up but was running out of fuel due to his stock inj.s and pump. gonna put in 30lb inj.s in dads car and will see how the stock pump hangs after you tune it.

Your going to regret the camshaft thing. Matts car is stupid. Wish i would have had a better tire to stick on it. his car peaked at 6450.I do not have a flycutting tool though. Sorry.
Old 11-10-2006, 09:29 PM

Me persoanlly i would go after shift selenoid A and see if that cures it. Did anyone put the screens back in the seperator plate after the rebuild and does the trans exihbit any other odd behaviors ?It still sounds like some kind of screwed up entry in the PCM.
Old 11-10-2006, 09:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm way out of my league here, but I think sometimes there must be computer issues that result in funny shift behavior.

I worked with a tuner for quite some time after my car had a simple 2.73 to 3.42 swap... and nothing except for experimentation with the shift settings worked.

In the end the shift tables make no sense (how they are set). The numbers don't line up with how the car behaves, but the ratios are consistent. That is it's like everything is sort of globally off and the behavior is also not consistent based upon the mph+rpm needing to be met.

At first I suspected something simple but the guy tried everything and triple check things time and time again. Even as straightforward as it should (and typically was according to the tuner) we simply could not get my car to behave properly.

You are so far beyond me on mods I feel foolish suggesting this, but do you have a way to try setting your 2-3 shift rpm at something terribly low, like 5000rpm? Only with experimentation were we able to eventually get my car working as it should.

The way it is set up the numbers in the shift/kickdown tables don't line up with what is actually happening, but the car behaves properly. The tuner said this was unheard of and had no solution.

Are your kick downs messed up as well?