Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LSX into mid 90's Jaguar

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 09:14 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LSX into mid 90's Jaguar

I am looking into doing a Jaguar XJS coupe conversion for my wife. She drives 100+ miles per day and we are looking for a nice car for the drive that is economical in the long run. I know economical and Jaguar is likely an oxymoron, but I think the hard parts on them are good. I think it is pretty much the engine and some engine wiring gremlins that plague them.

SHE actually brought up this conversion last night when we were talking about a different car for her. I had spoken to her about it in the past, and she must have really liked the idea.

What I would really like to do is a 1992+ XJS with an iron block 5.3 liter chevrolet truck motor with a 4L60E behind it. These motors are a lot cheaper than the LS1 and still plenty of go power. Even the iron 5.3 is probably 350# lighter than the v12 it is replacing. With the 2.88 rear gear, highway mileage should be very good. If it were for me, I would want the iron 6.0 and give it some go fast stuff, but I have to remember it is for her.

There are several kits out there for regular SBCs into these cars, but not LSX based motors. Am I wrong in thinking I could use the SBC to LSX motor mount adapters with one of these kits and make one of the kits on the market work? I could fab my own mounts and crossmember, but for time sake I would rather use something that is already out there.

Sorry for long post.
Old 11-10-2006, 09:20 PM
Launching!

BTW, we are replacing her 2000 323i BMW because BMWs are now pieces of S$&%T! Her trans let go with just over 109K miles on it. Turns out we were lucky to make it that far, many have failed with 50-75K miles on them. It seems with each new model, the quality of everything on the cars get worse. If you want a good BMW, buy an old one!

For fun you can read on some of the failures... http://www.consumeraffairs.com/autom...bmw_trans.html
Old 11-10-2006, 09:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

If you stumbled across the ONE jaguar that can serve as a 100 mile/day driver, Don't do anything to it. Count your blessings while working on a better car.
Old 11-10-2006, 09:37 PM
Launching!

There seem to be quite a few 200K+ cars out there running around. Granted, you don't know what all has been replaced to get them that far. Like I said, I really think the engines are the weak spot on these cars.

Quick Reply: LSX into mid 90's Jaguar