Hooker conversion headers
Magnaflow 3 In stainless exhaust
12 Bolt 4.10
New Suspension and breaks
Centerforce clutch
short throw shifter
Ls6 intake ported TB
Motor and trans have 75000 miles

Just wondering after it gets built what you guys think it might be worth... Thanks
Old 11-11-2006, 06:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It would be impossible to say. It depends on the quality of the work...and if you're doing the install, your idea of quality might be complete and utter *** work in someone else's opinion.

If you spend the money to do the swap correctly and the car is immaculate, I may not be able to estimate the value of it (an appraiser can give you a good number), but I can tell you that you're going to end up with more money into it than you'll get out of it unless you have some serious, serious hookups with regard to mechanics and body people.
Old 11-11-2006, 06:06 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shifty`
It would be impossible to say. It depends on the quality of the work...and if you're doing the install, your idea of quality might be complete and utter *** work in someone else's opinion.

If you spend the money to do the swap correctly and the car is immaculate, I may not be able to estimate the value of it (an appraiser can give you a good number), but I can tell you that you're going to end up with more money into it than you'll get out of it unless you have some serious, serious hookups with regard to mechanics and body people.
Old 11-11-2006, 06:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

29.95 with a free oil change and brake inspection
Old 11-11-2006, 06:29 PM
On The Tree

Well I can say this will be no Boyd Coddington work or Foose or anything but i'm thinking I should get 20000 or 25000 for it.. I see Chevelles with tired *** small blocks go for that much... Plus this will be dead on reliable when its done.. Thats what i'm looking foward too..
Old 11-11-2006, 07:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

it's worth what someone'll pay for it. show off the advantages of the LSX, good fuel economy, great power, reliability, smoothness, combined with a straight, clean car, should easily get you that much.
Old 11-11-2006, 07:29 PM
Teching In

I have over 20K in mine not including my labor and I'm not done yet.I hope its worth what I have in it.
Old 11-11-2006, 09:27 PM
Teching In

For anything but show car condition figure market price is someplace between a similar condition unmodified car and maybe as much as 25% of the conversion cost. If the car has ANY problems of any kind, leaks, dents, tires, anything selling price is going to suffer.

Basic problem is that there are dam few buyers. These are not cars that are going to be easy for even people with good credit to finance unless they use something else for collateral. If somebody has that kind of money, why not go directly to a conversion shop and have it done EXACTLY how you want it? Car like a Chevelle most buyers are going to want a BIG motor, and no worries about smog controls etc.

Go to one of the xmas arts and crafts type shows, and you should understand how market price works in 5 minutes. Real craftsmen and skilled artists make money, everybody else hopes to recover the cost of materials so they can keep playing.
Old 11-12-2006, 01:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^

We had a discussion about this at the classic truck forum the other day - "what it's worth". Someone posted a few pictures of what some tricked out trucks would go for, some using GenII engines or newer, shaved, channeled, dropped, custom interior and sound....people putting 30k-80k into the trucks...but most are only selling for $35k, which is hardly enough to even break even. Granted, if these people worked for a body shop and did the frame-off work properly the cost is exponentially less - unless you're dealing with SC'd or FI/turbo'd motor, paint is going to cost 4x what the drivetrain and its installation will.

Overall, the big problem is, simply, you are in a place where people that are as interested as you and I in the late 60's to early 70's muscle cars and trucks (69-72 Chevelle is my absolute favorite car of all time, and I love the Elkys of same year also), the chances are they have one or more cars already undergoing what you're dealing with. It also sucks, because people who love it as much as you or I might love to tinker as well, so they're even more prone to build their own. They have the tools and the money to do it in a lot of cases.

My case ... I bought a ~$3200 engine and tranny. Overall, to get a pretty clean installation with easily serviceable aftermarket parts, I have at least another $3k invested in it, and I haven't touched the body and interior. The truck alone cost $3500. That and a couple other things leaves me with probably around $12k total investment on my trick already and it's not near complete (haven't touched the suspension, body, interior or anything). Would cost another $25k in body, suspension and interior work just to get it show worthy, and thus, saleworthy. I'd be lucky to net $30k for my truck even with the LS1 in it, slammed and bagged, with a trick paint job.

I don't really think it's that lucrative to buy classic cars for repair and flip them. You're better off with real estate. If you want a fast profit on something, you'll make the most money by leaving the body alone, work on the suspension, toss some 18's or 20's (or a mix thereof) on it, redo the interior, dash and center console, then flip it.

I'm personally in it for the love of the vehicle and don't care what I sink into it - the ultimate goal is to cruise, not market
Old 11-12-2006, 02:01 PM
On The Tree

i am the same way I don't want to flip the car I just wanted a fast *** car that is realable.. I love the LS1!!! I had a big block in it but with the heads and cam swap this motor will easily be as fast as a decent big block.. Deff be more reliable.. I love my 71 don't ever want to sell it but if the **** hits the fan I wanna know what I might get for it..
Old 11-13-2006, 12:55 AM
Teching In

If it hits the fan, you will take it in the rear. Time and/or luck is the ONLY way to get money out of a modified car. Time of year will move the price up or down a bunch too, some parts of the year people just don't buy hot rods for themselves.

Classic double whammy, you really need some money, and something minor but more expensive than you can afford breaks on the car, and you have to sell it quick with the part broken. When it comes down to house, health, or car, car loses.
Old 12-21-2006, 09:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

To keep track of cost. I built an excel spreadsheet where the front page is all the areas added up and then I have a page for.

Drivetrain
Front brakes and suspension
Rear brakes and suspension
Interior
Body and paint
Misc expenses

I suggest you do the same thing when you build a car. Lets you keep track of things that are easely forgotten.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:29 PM
Launching!

If the car turns out and is clean you will get the money you need.Just remember not to cheap out.Details such as 4 wheel discs,a properly done original interior and a/c are all things someone would expect from a properly done chevelle.J
Old 12-22-2006, 10:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

I am keeping track of the cost for my Chevy II generally but decided not to be too detailed because I would rather not know! This may be the last Nova I put together so I am doing it my way for me.

Quick Reply: HOw much is a 71 Chevelle Ls1 T56 conversioin