LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

OPTIPSARK BLUES (where'd I go wrong)

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2006, 08:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OPTIPSARK BLUES (where'd I go wrong)

I've been gathering parts for my LT1 rebuild for sometime now, been reading all I could so That I would get it right. It is going into a '57 chevy, I was told it came out of a '95 T/A.
Kept reading where the O/S was a weak point and to be sure to use the vented unit, thought no problem, this is a '95, should be a direct bolt on.
today during the build, i got to the O/S and noticed that the drives were totally different, mine was a spline drive, the new vented O/S came with it's own drive. There is no way these two can interchange with out changing
the front cover and who knows what else.
I was under the impression that you could upgrade to a vented O/S with out any hassle... NOT SO! what did I miss?

With all this said, I realize now that i'm not dealing with a '95 block. The serial
# on the block is: VO314WTD.
So what year is it, and how do I upgrade to the vented O/S?

thanks!
Jeff
Old 11-11-2006, 09:24 PM
TECH Resident

need a new timing chain cover from a 96 or 97 car
Old 11-11-2006, 11:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

MSD just cam out with a replacement performance dist. for the LT-1's/ LT-4's. One for 94-95 and one for 96-97.
Or just bypass the problem and get rid of the O/S. You can plug the hole in the front cover and use an elec. WP. Then all that you have to do is modify the stock intake for a distributor hole and use a old school ignition system. This does involve finding the right trigger wire connections from the cam pos. sensor to the mag. pickup.
Or you can by GM's carb. style intake and put you a GOOD carb on there. I know several local guy's that I have helped do this very conversion on their older hot rods. They are still getting great gas mileage out of them. I would suggest for carb selections being along the lines of a Speed Demon or better style carb, Quick Fuel, or AED.
Old 11-11-2006, 11:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well if it is spline drive then you got a 93 motor no matter what unless some retard changed it back to 93 style unvented...you need a new timing cover from a 94-97 lt1 from any lt1 car camaro/fleetwood/impala/roadmaster and that opti will work
Old 11-12-2006, 04:38 AM
sbs
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 57LT1DELIVERY
With all this said, I realize now that i'm not dealing with a '95 block. The serial
# on the block is: VO314WTD.
So what year is it, and how do I upgrade to the vented O/S?
There are several sites on the web describing the swap. Here's one:
http://www.noid.org/~muttvette/opti.html

It will be a lot cheaper and easier to get a Dynaspark or MSD opti, which provide venting for the early-style (92-94) opti, rather than converting to the later timing cover, timing set, camshaft, etc.

There have been a fair number of problems reported with the MSD, though, and Dynaspark changed hands earlier this year, so do your research.

If you aren't aware of camaroz28.com, spend some time over there. It's the best source for LTx engine info. http://web.camaross.com/forums/forum....php?forumid=9
Old 11-12-2006, 08:09 AM
Banned

A 94 f-body engine used the the spline drive while the other 94 models had a vented opti.
Old 11-12-2006, 08:14 AM
Teching In

Thanks to all who helped, i think I'm just going to purchase an older optispark.
This engine is fresh, with a new water pump and will only be driven in summer months so it won't see the milage of a typicle daily driver, Hope for the best.
now I'm concerned that other parts I purchased may give me problems.
Everythig I bought for the rebuild was for a '95, sensors, senders, bearings,
gaskets, plugs, wires, injectors, Painless wiring harness. Now I find out I have a '93
What a pain.

thanks again,
jeff
Old 11-12-2006, 11:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

you should be fine with everything, he only thing that isn't interchangeable is the knock sensor. I can't say I've had much better luck with the vented opti either, I still replace them every 18 months or so.
Old 11-12-2006, 02:39 PM
sbs
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jakesz28
A 94 f-body engine used the the spline drive while the other 94 models had a vented opti.
Vettes were unvented in 94.
Old 11-12-2006, 02:51 PM
sbs
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 57LT1DELIVERY
now I'm concerned that other parts I purchased may give me problems.
Everythig I bought for the rebuild was for a '95, sensors, senders, bearings,
gaskets, plugs, wires, injectors, Painless wiring harness. Now I find out I have a '93
What a pain.

thanks again,
jeff
The sensors, senders, bearings, wires, plugs should be the same. If you bought a MAF you can send it back, assuming you're using the 93 computer.

There was a slightly different size injector on early cars, I forget if it is just 92 or 92-93. You can tune for whatever you got, so no biggie there.

I don't know what all the painless harness includes. Does it replace the entire factory harness? If so, then you'll either need a 94+ computer with your current harness, or a 93- harness with the 93 computer. Injector wiring is different.

The 93 computers are getting hard to come by, so assuming you currently have the 94-95 harness, I'd get a 94-95 computer (which have advantages for programming) and sell the 93 computer.
Old 11-12-2006, 02:52 PM
sbs
On The Tree

Originally Posted by v7guy
you should be fine with everything, he only thing that isn't interchangeable is the knock sensor.
The knock sensor difference is 92-95 vs. 96, so he should have no problem there.