Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

How hard it is to remove a gas tank?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 12:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Unhappy How hard it is to remove a gas tank?

It looks like I have a pipe that has burnt a small hole in the gas tank. A heat shield was left off a few years ago. Can the tank be repaired? How hard it is to get out? Anyone have a write up??

Bill
Old 11-12-2006, 12:41 PM
Flossin' twin turbos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its not that bad to take off just two straps,harness,fuel lines. but you will need a buddy to help you.
Old 11-12-2006, 08:45 PM
Staging Lane

Plastic gas tanks cant be repaired.

If you have an aftermarket exhaust that unbolts easily, you may need to remove it.. And drop the panhard bar to get it out..
2 straps, and it angles out..
If its more then 1/4 full, its gonna be heavy!
Old 11-12-2006, 10:46 PM
Staging Lane

DO you need to remove the rear or let it down? Gm manuel says yes any help guys?
Old 11-12-2006, 11:43 PM
yak
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by alsfastz28
DO you need to remove the rear or let it down? Gm manuel says yes any help guys?
no, just the straps, connecter for the fill neck, PHB, and the evap **** on top. get a buddy and that sumbitch will just slide out.
Old 11-13-2006, 06:56 AM
11 Second Club

I lowered my rear down and it gives you more room to work. Just dropped the PHR and removed the bottom shock bolts and let it hang by the LCA's with a jack supporting it so I didn't rip the brake lines. It made it easier to get the tank down and unplug the fuel lines and stuff.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:51 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks everyone. Now to find a used tank.

Bill
Old 11-13-2006, 02:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It was pretty hard for me. The fill tube wouldn't come out so I had to bend it slightly to get enough room to drop the tank (this was no easy task and it took a couple hours before I made the decision to do this). I know that most tanks the fill tube is two separate pieces, however mine was one solid piece of metal. If this wasn't the case I could have gotten this thing out very easily.

I took the entire rear end out and still couldn't get the thing out. That is when I decided to bend it. Came out fairly easily then, however I had to bend it back after I put it back in, which was pretty difficult to do.
Old 11-13-2006, 03:45 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by alsfastz28
I have removed mine twice. I let the rear hang. Two bolts for the straps and remove the exhaust. Since my Borla breaks in the rear the whole thing was easy to do with an extra pair of hands.

Just don't forget to remove the filler tube.
Old 11-13-2006, 05:11 PM
FormerVendor

The rear doesnt need to dangle.
1. Remove exaust
2. Remove heatsheilding
3. Undo Feed/return/evap/power lines
4. Undo PHB
5. Undo gas cap
6. Heres the tricky part if its over 1/4 full you need a buddy. You undo the two straps holding the tank in and it wiggles out of there. If its a metal tank then your going to have move of a hard time getting the tank in and out beacouse the fillter neck is less flexible.

On a hoist is usualy 20-30mins depending on if the exaust is being fiesty. Never done it on jackstands but i would say about 45-60mins. Putting it back it might be easier if you dont put the gas into the new tank.
Old 11-13-2006, 05:50 PM
Doc
FormerVendor

Hey Bill,
Might as well go ahead and do the Racetronix fuel system upgrade while you got that sucker down. There is always a win, sometimes you just have to look a little harder at the situation. Or just make lemonade out of the lemons life delivers you.
Old 11-15-2006, 05:08 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Doc
Hey Bill,
Might as well go ahead and do the Racetronix fuel system upgrade while you got that sucker down. There is always a win, sometimes you just have to look a little harder at the situation. Or just make lemonade out of the lemons life delivers you.
Who sells this upgrade and what does it buy me? Does this change the fuel pump? I was thinking about a new pump.

Thanks,
Bill
Old 11-15-2006, 06:24 PM
TECH Resident

racetronix has the upgrade and its available at thunder racing(YAY!!) or ls1speed

everything is self explanatory too. if not there is a picture floating around of how to do it

the hardest part is slipping the tank back in (need more than 1 person makes this easier) and making sure you don't crack all of those purty plastic wires/cables doodle things... lol
Old 11-15-2006, 07:10 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ZL1Killa
racetronix has the upgrade and its available at thunder racing(YAY!!) or ls1speed

everything is self explanatory too. if not there is a picture floating around of how to do it

the hardest part is slipping the tank back in (need more than 1 person makes this easier) and making sure you don't crack all of those purty plastic wires/cables doodle things... lol
That kit is $250. Is that the one you were talking about?

Bill
Old 11-15-2006, 07:42 PM
11 Second Club

i got my full kit here;
https://ls1tech.com/forums/sponsor-sales-specials/590962-direct-fit-intank-pumps-hot-wire-kits.html
Old 11-18-2006, 01:52 PM
Teching In

removing gas tanks sux on ls1 cars! i just put in a dual walbro 255s' setup in my car and i would suggest if u are putting in a fuel pump to just cut a hole in your car in the hatch! thats what alot of people do!