Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP .. Engine problems started last night.

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 02:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP .. Engine problems started last night.

So we were heading out for the night and the car started sputtering. I though at first it felt like we were running out of gas (it's happened a few times) so we went to the gas station and filled up. Seemed okay for about a mile and then it started shuddering again. When I stepped on the gas there was no go and then the Service Engine Soon light came on. It only did it at slower speed .. once I got on the highway to get the car home it ran fine but once I was off the highway it started again. I have a scanner and when I got home I scanned it .. Here is what came up.

P0152 - O2 Sensor Circuit High Volts (Bank 2 Sensor 1)
P0154 - O2 Sensor CKT No Activity (Bank 2 Sensor 1)
P0302 - Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected
P0300 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected

I just had headers, ory, underdrive pulley, plugs, wires, 160 thermostat, trans cooler and gears done 300 miles ago. He supposedly removed the codes for the O2 sensors for after the cats (since I have no cats anymore) but I'm wondering if these codes are for one of the sensors before the cats that might still be in use.

Please help so I can call him up and figure it out. His shop is an hour and fifteen minutes away so I'll probably haul it out on a trailer to him. I just want to understand what's going on. It never had a problem for the past 300 miles since we got the car back until last night.
Old 11-12-2006, 05:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I believe bank 2 is the passenger side (not always the case). Sensor 1 is the upstream sensor that is used to measure AFR. Cylinder #2 is also on the passenger side first plug. Since you just had headers, plugs, wires etc. pull plug #2 and check it out. See if it's firing or not. Make sure it is gapped right and the wire is on securely. Also check that your O2 sensor is plugged in. Usually when an O2 sensor gets stuck on high volts and doesn't switch high-low it needs to be replaced. I can't ever remember running into a no activity code before.
Old 11-12-2006, 05:34 PM
Launching!

Yea I agree, I believe if a O2 Sensor goes bad it always goes bad high. And about the no activity code, the only way I think that would come up is if it isnt plugged in.
Old 11-12-2006, 05:35 PM
TECH Resident

Sounds like the O2 wiring is unpluged or possibly melted. I'd check that first, passenger side. Also this isn't really an internal engine issue. It's a sensor issue.
Old 11-12-2006, 05:51 PM
Teching In

Is the sensor causing the cylinder misfire or do I have deeper issues?
Old 11-12-2006, 07:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a problem similar to this. My 02 sensor itself just went bad after I installed my flowtechs. I bought the bosch 13111's and haven't had problems since.
Old 11-12-2006, 07:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

New headers will sometimes toast 02s, that's why I recommend running with a used set for the first warm up and then put the good ones in. Bad/burned wiring is also a good suspect for a new header install. Either way - bad sensor 1 02 will cause all kinds of problems.
Old 11-12-2006, 08:05 PM
Teching In

I'm going to look it over closer tomorrow. I couldn't see anything like burned wires near the headers but I'll get it jacked up tomorrow and crawl underneath to get a better look. I hope that's all it is because I get my heads back next week and want to get the car to the shop to get all the top end done and the tranny rebuilt and maybe drive it around a bit before the snow flies.