Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Flat black, OEM black, or black with a twist?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 12:19 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flat black, OEM black, or black with a twist?

This winter i will be prepping my car to repaint it.. it's GM OEM black Z28.

Up until recently i was just gonna paint it black again.. but now im considering some options. I just saw a SATIN black dick harrel camaro in a thread and thought it looked actually pretty good. Then one of my buddies suggested maybe black but with... not sure on what its called but metallic hue or flakes or something like that. I also saw the pictures of the LS7 GM performance parts camaro with the satin black finish which i really liked. I like the look because it is kind of sleeperish yet still good looking. Plus my car is a daily driver and I've been led to believe that satin black shows less signs of wear and what not.

As far as other appearance mods... right now just 17 x11 ZR1's.. sitting in my garage waiting for the car to be painted before going on a billet grille... stainless steel CAMARO lettering for the back and no badges. I am considering a Harwood wide cowl hood and most likely SS spoiler. I might throw a retro Z28 badge on the front grille...

Opinions.. pictures.. suggestions.. anyone?

ALso for all you body work gurus.. if my bumpers are spider cracked... will that be hard to prep for paint.. will i have to strip them down completely.. i dont want to buy new bumpers i know how expensive they are.

Last edited by Fibbado; 11-13-2006 at 12:58 PM.
Old 11-13-2006, 02:25 PM
TECH Regular

i think the satin black would look ok, but i wouldnt do any metallic flakes on a flat/satin paintjob. If you did oem black it would look good, but otherwise dont do it. everything else you mentioned sounds good too
Old 11-13-2006, 02:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

when i find a black Z it will be painted satin black with a sunoco hood and G2 spoiler with 17x11's
Old 11-13-2006, 07:25 PM
Staging Lane

Just an Idea. If you have a real good painter. maybe a black metallic using gold metallic. Had a 79 supra that was painted that and it looked super when cleaned up.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:33 PM
11 Second Club

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

i don't think it will look good unless you have the car setup perfectly, otherwise it will jsut look like its in primer and or is a crappy paint job
Old 11-13-2006, 07:45 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Magnet
i don't think it will look good unless you have the car setup perfectly, otherwise it will jsut look like its in primer and or is a crappy paint job
^^^ what he said...i would consider a black metallic only if the painter is amazing, but it i werwe you i'd stay the same color as stock or go for a nice glossy black. But yea whenever you get a chance take a look at a metallic black car, some toyota's and honda's have metallic black and the new civic is "black" with a very very subtle metallic blue that you cant see unless its in direct sunlight and someone points it out to you. Awesome too bad its only on a friggin civic
Old 11-13-2006, 10:01 PM
TECH Addict

flat black is the best bet IMO
Old 11-13-2006, 10:04 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A satin or semi gloss black would look killer on some shiney or polished wheels, FM-10's come to mind with some meats out back. If you did that and the whistler mod your car would look sick!!
Old 11-14-2006, 12:14 AM
Possible Scammer - Buyer Beware - Issues Unresolved

post up some flat black pics