Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Exhaust Setup?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 03:56 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What Exhaust Setup?

Alright I deffinetly decided on redoing my exhasut system over this winter because the stock sound sucks and its pancaked. I decided on going with pacesetter long tube headers my question is what y pipe and catback system should I use? I was thinking maybe a hookey catback and y pipe? Or a hooker y pipe and loudmouth catback? I do not want true duals at this point because I plan on dropping it and dont have that much money to spend? Thanks in advance for the info.
Old 11-13-2006, 05:00 PM
Launching!

I would recommend using the pacesetter y pipe. I definatly wouldnt go with the loudmouth unless you are going with cats.
Old 11-13-2006, 11:25 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

I would also recommend the TSP Y setup...some people have had trouble with theirs though, but mine was perfect.

I had Pacesetters, TSP ORY and the Magnaflow system....loved it.
Old 11-14-2006, 07:14 AM
TECH Addict

i like the LM1 i also have a kit thats going to be coming off my car in a a few weeks or so its got the 2.5" dual dual tips and ive only had it since like feb. and dont drive the car a whole lot. pm me if interested.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bigbird01
Alright I deffinetly decided on redoing my exhasut system over this winter because the stock sound sucks and its pancaked. I decided on going with pacesetter long tube headers my question is what y pipe and catback system should I use? I was thinking maybe a hookey catback and y pipe? Or a hooker y pipe and loudmouth catback? I do not want true duals at this point because I plan on dropping it and dont have that much money to spend? Thanks in advance for the info.
Pacesetters are an excellent header. Texas Speed & Performance does some great deals on them with their own Y pipe (ORY or catted). This is what I would recommend.

I'd also recommend that you do Poly tranny AND motor mounts while you have the exhaust off. And it may be worth getting the Mufflex Y pipe hanger, all of these are available from Thunder Racing.

As for catback, well there's lots out there. www.ls1sounds.com has some good clips.

You need to decide what sort of tone and volume you would like.

Personally I think the LM is an excellent chioce of catback, stainlees steel and well made, but be warned it is LOUD. Well after all it is called a Loudmouth.

For preference it will sound better with CATS. If you go ORY you will probably want to swap the LM resonator ot to a Borla XR-1 or Maganflow bullet muffler. This will control the sound better and offer better tone, but it will still be loud.

If you think you will like the sound of the LM you will probably hate the Hooker catback. And vice versa.

GMMG, Stainless Works chambered and Powerpack catbacks all sound great but are pricey.

Mganaflow, Corsa and Borla are all popular but not my sort of thing. But there are many more.

Only one to aviod is the Flowmaster American Thunder, it sounds good but it isn't so good from a performance standpoint and is quite restrictive on a modyfied LS1.