Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

k&n vs. slp

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 01:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default k&n vs. slp

hi there my name is chadd, ive had my 2000 camaro z28 m6 for about a year and a half. between college and work (oreilly auto parts), i havent had much time to mod my car. so far all i have is a flowmaster cat back american thunder exhaust system. ive wanted to put a cold air intake on it but i cant decide which one to pick. K and N makes a 57 fipk intake but it sits on top of the radiator and warm air from the engine will get sucked in. the other is the slp that redirects the intake to underneath the front bumper. the problem i see in that one is that its blocking a good portion of the radiator. if any one has any info bout either one, pros or cons about them please let me know. ive already got the k & n filter on but no intake yet. i will make my decision upon your posts. thank you.
Old 11-14-2006, 01:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Z's Z-28
hi there my name is chadd, ive had my 2000 camaro z28 m6 for about a year and a half. between college and work (oreilly auto parts), i havent had much time to mod my car. so far all i have is a flowmaster cat back american thunder exhaust system. ive wanted to put a cold air intake on it but i cant decide which one to pick. K and N makes a 57 fipk intake but it sits on top of the radiator and warm air from the engine will get sucked in. the other is the slp that redirects the intake to underneath the front bumper. the problem i see in that one is that its blocking a good portion of the radiator. if any one has any info bout either one, pros or cons about them please let me know. ive already got the k & n filter on but no intake yet. i will make my decision upon your posts. thank you.

hey and welocme. get rid of crap master.. No seriosuly do it get youre self a good cb.. there are many to choose from but to name some. GMMG, LM11, or corsa are the popular ones. agian mixed reviews from BORLA.. to me they sound like *** once you put LTs on the car. or you can do True Duals but that is a whole other subject. you really do not need a CAI. jsut pull your lid off, take out the 4 body pins and cut out all the plastic and replace your stock air filter with either a K&N or Fram.. both air filters give people mixed feelings that is your call. go to install university.. can someone get the link i dont know what it is..

Good luck and have fun
Old 11-14-2006, 02:15 PM
TECH Addict

i like the slp thats what i got. my friend installed it and had access to a dyno and picked up a respectful amount. every little bit helps
Old 11-14-2006, 02:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

just pick up a lid. the k&n is expensive, when a lid for less than half does the same. The whole cold air kit is sort of a waste, and can be done for a lot cheaper. Also, the rad gets the air from the plastic air dam the scrapes everything from the bottom.

ps...get rid of the flowmaster.
Old 11-14-2006, 04:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

^^+1

But if you want a CAI look into FTRA (Fast Toys Ram Air) it's proven to work, whereas the SLP one isn't.

The k&n filter you have is ok, but pricey to maintain. A paper one would work as well combined with an aftermarket lid (TSP, SLP, MTI) and the FTRA.

The stock bellows is fine also, the SLP is a total rip off and should only be bought if you have too much money.

Stock MAF is fine also.

If you want some free HP porting your TB is a good idea (see sig for link).

And yeah the Flowmaster catback isn't the greatest, but it's better than stock. Once you start modding more it will become a restriction, but at present I wouldn't worry.

A solution would be to buy a 3" electric cutout (QTP) and place it in the Y pipe.
Old 11-14-2006, 06:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have the KN FIPK and it comes w/ a radiator support which blocks the heat coming from underneath and it sit about 3/4" off of it! I purchased this b/c I feel having a ram air hood it would benifit more...plus I got a good deal on it. As stated above I would just get an aftermarket lid, a cheap one too, b/c they all give about the same hp increase and do the free air mod.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have an SLP lid that fits great. I don't have the K&N air filter. I've heard the stock paper air filter is good for 450+HP and keeps lots more dirt out than the K&N.

I also have the SSRA cold air intake:
http://www.lmperformance.com/1858/15.html

It's pretty good. All plastic so it doesn't heat soak. Nice scoop under the front bumper. Check it out.
Old 11-16-2006, 12:27 PM
FormerVendor

The FTRA has been proven many times to not suffer from the heat soak people that people who haven't purchased the product assume it has. If you do a search on here, you will find people that did first hand testing and found IAT temps to only be a few degrees more than ambient when driving. That's about as good as you can ask for! Quite simply, moving air very quickly cools metal down and even it if heats up a bit when stopped in traffic, it very quickly cools back down as soon as you start moving.

Also, metal doesn't break easily like plastic and you will see cases of people breaking their plastic intakes. T304 stainless steel is going to last the life of your vehicle. The FTRA also sells for less I believe.
Old 11-16-2006, 12:33 PM
12 Second Club

Received 443 Likes on 354 Posts

Flowmasters kill quite a bit of power stock. I had one on my car - went from 13.74@ 105 to 13.46@108 just adding a lid and a loudmouth. If a lid gives you roughly 10 HP, that flowmaster was choking me to the tune of 20 HP. Get rid of it!
Old 12-20-2006, 10:24 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by massls1guy
I have an SLP lid that fits great. I don't have the K&N air filter. I've heard the stock paper air filter is good for 450+HP and keeps lots more dirt out than the K&N.

I also have the SSRA cold air intake:
http://www.lmperformance.com/1858/15.html

It's pretty good. All plastic so it doesn't heat soak. Nice scoop under the front bumper. Check it out.

You clown, its good til 1000HP but a aftermark will flow better.