Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C question?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 02:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default A/C question?

Ok so heres my ? regarding A/C for my LS1/Mustang swap... Do I need any of the under the dash parts from an LS1 car or just the under the hood parts... condensor,compressor,dryer... and will the lines bolt up to what runs in through my firewall? If it's a HUGE headache to do AC I will just forgo it. This car is going to be carb'd so I don't know what kinda wiring I have to do for the AC either.
Old 11-14-2006, 04:51 PM
Launching!

The way I understand it is that you basically have two options. The first is to run the stock Mustang evaperator and A/C controls and just get custom lines done to convert between the LS1 compressor and the Mustang evaperator. In this case, the LS1 PCM is not controlling the A/C due to no input from the A/C pressure switch. The second option is to use all of the LS1 A/C items, including the evaperator from and F-body. In this case the LS1 PCM would be controlling the on/off of the compressor through inputs from the A/C pressure switch. It would also allow the fans to work more like the stock setup in an LS1 (second fan on when A/C turns on). Brains has a write-up on his website www.ls1mustang.com about the evaperator in the stock Mustang HVAC box.

I guess you could also try to work the LS1 A/C pressure switch into the custom line in option 1, but I figured it's just easier to work with the stock lines and go from there.

The second option is the way I'll be going in my Fox/LS1 swap. Here in Phoenix A/C is a requirement, so I can't just leave it out. I hope it works out as planned.
Old 11-14-2006, 04:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah I am in Texas so I desperately would like to keep it. But I am going carburated and won't have a PCM. Will this present problems with the first setup u mentioned?
Old 11-14-2006, 05:03 PM
Launching!

I don't think so, since the stock Mustang A/C system doesn't run through the PCM. It request the A/C through the A/C controls and runs a belt-driven fan setup.
Old 11-14-2006, 05:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Quick Double Nickel
I don't think so, since the stock Mustang A/C system doesn't run through the PCM. It request the A/C through the A/C controls and runs a belt-driven fan setup.

I have a 95 which doesn't have the fan off the front of the motor. Has an electronic fan.
Old 11-14-2006, 05:33 PM
Launching!

In that case I'm not sure. You would probably have to ask over on the Ford forums if the electric fans on your '95 our activated off a signal from the PCM or from the signal off the A/C request on the A/C controls. If they run off a signal off the PCM then you'll probably have to rig up some sort of controller to run it off of the A/C request signal at the A/C controls or do a manual control (PITA) since you're not running a PCM.
Old 11-14-2006, 05:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well would I be better off running an aftermarket fan with just an on/off switch? I just hate to rely on memory for that all the time haha.
Old 11-14-2006, 06:13 PM
Launching!

My suggestion would be to see if you could run a relay off of the A/C request at the A/C controls to turn on the second fan. I'm assuming your running a relay off of some sort of temperature sensor to turn on the first fan.
Old 11-14-2006, 06:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Quick Double Nickel
My suggestion would be to see if you could run a relay off of the A/C request at the A/C controls to turn on the second fan. I'm assuming your running a relay off of some sort of temperature sensor to turn on the first fan.

There is only one fan.
Old 11-14-2006, 06:26 PM
Launching!

In that case just run a temperature-activated switch to turn it on/off. You could probably run some sort of "overide" over that temp-activated switch, run off of a relay from the A/C request, for when the A/C turns on (although I don't have a clue on how to do that). I'm sure somebody on here has had experience with it.
Old 11-14-2006, 06:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

I am so confused... lol... I think I may just have the compressor and bracket put in and take it somewhere and tell them... FIX IT hahaha
Old 11-15-2006, 02:15 PM
On The Tree

You could use a pressure switch on the highpressure side of the system to activate the fan.

You don't have to run it the same way as the LS1 do.

On the Vintage Air system they have a simple pressure switch that runs the electric fan. You can use a switch like that for this purpose.

On the LS1 Camaro there are a few things that runs through the computer. You activate the AC via the PCM and the PCM starts the compressor and run the fans.

Jan
Old 11-15-2006, 02:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by jannes_z-28
You could use a pressure switch on the highpressure side of the system to activate the fan.

You don't have to run it the same way as the LS1 do.

On the Vintage Air system they have a simple pressure switch that runs the electric fan. You can use a switch like that for this purpose.

On the LS1 Camaro there are a few things that runs through the computer. You activate the AC via the PCM and the PCM starts the compressor and run the fans.

Jan
So I basically just need the ac compressor and bracket from an f-body and then go somewhere and have the lines made to mate up with all the ford stuff? is that correct?

Quick Reply: A/C question?