General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Dome Light??

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 04:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dome Light??

I noticed tonight when I open the drivers door the dome light(s) not coming on. I opened the passenger door and they work fine. Wondering if anyone could help. Didn't get anything with the search. Thanks.
Old 11-14-2006, 05:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dome light and mirror lights? Can't be a fuse/bulbs - must be something with the drivers side door switch/plunger.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28
Dome light and mirror lights? Can't be a fuse/bulbs - must be something with the drivers side door switch/plunger.
I looked, in the dark, and didn't see a switch. I wasn't sure if they had one or if there was another way of telling it the door was open. I will look again. Thanks
Old 11-15-2006, 10:13 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Juiced2000SS
I noticed tonight when I open the drivers door the dome light(s) not coming on. I opened the passenger door and they work fine. Wondering if anyone could help. Didn't get anything with the search. Thanks.
Get in the car, shut the doors, and turn on the key to run (you don't have to start it-one position before it cranks). Turn the key off and remove it. Turn on the radio. Once the radio starts, open your driver's side door and see if the RAP (retained accessory power) is disabled and the radio turns off. If it doesn't then its the door position sensor inside the door attached just under the rear door lock (the door secure/locking portion you can see if you look at the aft edge of the door-seen with the door open). Basically the car doesn't know the door is open. The sensor will most likely need to be replaced.

If when you open the door the power is disabled and the radio stops, then the problem is somewhere in the lighting system itself-wether it is a fuse, short, or what. You will have to trace it down.
Old 11-16-2006, 07:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ok Weezzer, I did exactly what you said. When I opened the door the radio stopped and the light came on. I shut the door again and waited for the light to go off. When I opened the door again the dome light comes on. So then I get out of the car and shut the door, wait for the light to go off. Open the door from the outside and the light doesn't come on. I get back in the car and shut the door and open again from the inside and the light comes on.

So I now know it works if I open the door from the inside but not the outside......Any other suggestions, I don't get it.
Thanks
Old 11-16-2006, 12:12 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Juiced2000SS
Ok Weezzer, I did exactly what you said. When I opened the door the radio stopped and the light came on. I shut the door again and waited for the light to go off. When I opened the door again the dome light comes on. So then I get out of the car and shut the door, wait for the light to go off. Open the door from the outside and the light doesn't come on. I get back in the car and shut the door and open again from the inside and the light comes on.

So I now know it works if I open the door from the inside but not the outside......Any other suggestions, I don't get it.
Thanks
Open it up from the outside, if the light doesn't come on-then reach your fingers into the aft door lock cavity in the door edge and push the latch up (the portion that locks onto/around the bar protruding from the frame that secures the door-its hidden when the door is shut). If the light comes on - then for some reason the gear of the door position sensor is not moving far enough to create the electrical signal as it is when you open the door from the inside. The gear of the DPS meshes with the actual door lock and may need to be adjusted slightly. If this is the case something in the area must have play in it.

More than likely its the threaded rod comming down from the out-side door handle and it has too much play in it. There is a plastic nut on the threaded rod that connects to the internal door lock, you may have to detach it from the door lock (it snaps on one of the lock armatures and you can push it back from behind and off, look at it closely you will see how to do it, the plastic nut is also formed in two halves and the halves snap together. It can also be separated at this junction). I believe you want to rotate this nut so it moves closer to the door handle (read "UP") thus removing any extra slack in the linkage. Once you've done this you just snap it back into the hole in the armature.

Take your door cover off and while looking at the linkage for movement operate the outboard door handle and see how much slack there is.

Hope this helps..........
Old 11-17-2006, 07:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks Weezzer, I will do this as soon as possible. I may PM you if I find out anything else. You've been more than helpful.