Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Honest opnion about 2 exhaust options

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 09:17 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honest opnion about 2 exhaust options

Either i will go with long tube headers with off road y pipe with cut out and the gmmg cat bacfk exhaust... Or the long tube headers with x pipe and mufflers with turn downs. the horsepower should be about the same but what would be a better option for sound .
Old 11-14-2006, 09:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Cool

If you are lowered the Y + GMMG will probably be better, although it seems there are many with duals and dumps...guess it depends on where you live and what type of roads there are .....I love the gmmg myself..thinking about getting one....Sound is VERY subjective.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:43 PM
TECH Addict

clearance also depends on who does the work

i have lt's and 3" TDs over the axle and i can still lower it (sportlines if i desired)
Old 11-14-2006, 09:44 PM
TECH Addict

oh, and i dont care for the dumped sound. the y/gmmg will sound better to me

dumped is very loud and rattles a lot of things (and yes, my TDs are still very loud, but its a different loud, ones annoying, the other not so much)
Old 11-15-2006, 01:40 AM
TECH Addict

go with the Y and gmmg. TDs are cool but those dumped will rattle ya after a while. If its a regularly driven car id recomend GMMG. sounds damn nice too
Old 11-15-2006, 06:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by philly3384
Either i will go with long tube headers with off road y pipe with cut out and the gmmg cat bacfk exhaust...
Firstly the GMMG flows pretty decently so a cutout won't really help in the HP department. Maybe 5rwhp on a full h/c setup. On a bol on Ls1 maybe 1-2rwhp at most.

Also the setup you propose will be fairly loud. Sure opening the cutout will make it louder, but it will loose sound quality over the GMMG. And plus most of the noise increase will only be in the car as the cutout will dump under the car.

BTW - more than one person has said the GMMG sounds raspy with an ORY and certainly sounds better with CATS. If you really want to run an ORY then maybe look at the Stainless Works Chambered exhaust, it's very similar to the GMMG but has sligtly more muffler lenght, this should make it sound better without CATS. Or do a search in this forum for Powerpack.

Either way I say don't bother with the cutout, well at least at first. If it really isn't loud enough for you, you can still have the cutout added later for no extra total outlay.

Or the long tube headers with x pipe and mufflers with turn downs.
Do you mean dumped under the car? Generally these will appear louder as again they are under the car. Tonal quality and db level will be dictated largley by what mufflers you decide to run.

the horsepower should be about the same
On a cammed LS1 yes. A good h/c should show an adv to the duals and a serious FI setup will certainly favour the duals. Although many have seen over 600rwhp with a Y pipe setup.

but what would be a better option for sound .
This is very personal. There does seem to be a stigma against Y pipe setups. I think this is mostly due to unfounded bias and illogical conclusions. Probably mostly because the stock exhaust is a Y pipe, so people automatically assume it sucks as a basic setup.

On the whole however duals can sound better, but there are a lot of horrible sounding setups (muffler dependant mainly). And there are certainly a lot of good sounding Y pipe setups.

For sound I personally prefer a H pipe setup. It is in reality just as good for power. Maybe not quite as good PEAK as an X pipe but generally better under the curve performance. But it does offer a deeper old school muscle car sound compared to the more exotic revvy sound of an X pipe.

I'd also consider running chambered mufflers like Powersticks or Stainless Works chambered mufflers. Another popular option is 10 Series Flowmaster mufflers.