Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Screwed by a tar truck, need advice in AZ!

Old 11-14-2006, 09:37 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Screwed by a tar truck, need advice in AZ!

So my car was parked in a gravel parking lot while I was at work. They were repaving the road by the parking lot.. Long story short, the tar truck had no top on it and it hit a pot hole. My convertible Z caught tar from front left fender, around the back, and to the front right fender. I had an estimate done at a dealership totaling five thousand dollars to fix it.. That's wayyyy out of my price range.. Anyways if anyone has ANY advice for me on how to get the paint fixed and the tar off I'd be happy to hear it. Here's what I've tried so far:

WD40
Clay Bar
Nail polish Remover
Various other solvents
Turtlewax bug and tar remover

None of these made a dent... Im thinking the car may have to be sanded down and repainted, which is what the dealership quoted me on.. I looked at maaco as a possibility with their premium paint job coming out just over $1000. I could do that probably, however when I looked them up online I saw nothing but bad comments on their franchise nationwide.. If anyone knows someone that can do a good paint job in Arizona (I'm in Tempe) let me know! Any other advice is greatly appreciated too!

P.S. Yes I tried to hunt the bastards down that did it, but it was to no avail. Short of going C.S.I. Phoenix victims unit on them and testing the tar I don't know how I'll ever find out who did it.. Help me give my Z the love and repair it needs and rightfully deserves!

-Justin
Old 11-14-2006, 11:19 PM
Banned

Insurance...
Old 11-14-2006, 11:19 PM
Banned

that's compreshensive...
Old 11-14-2006, 11:21 PM
Staging Lane

my insurance is 220 a month now.. if I put in another claim, I can't imagine how high it will go.. but I guess I'll check that avenue out
Old 11-14-2006, 11:42 PM
TECH Resident

i say you need to find out what company the was carrying the tar. contact the city of phoenix/tempe? and tell them what happened. They should be able to tell you what company it was or even pay for the repair if you complain enough. i know that the city usually will pay for wheel repairs from pot holes and what not, so hopefully they would pay for this. let us know what happens.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:49 PM
Banned

Comprehensive won't make your rates go up...
Old 11-15-2006, 12:03 AM
Staging Lane

It happened in Indianapolis, IN unfortunately. I can try and contact the city, but they were slow as all hell in even answering me over a bent rim due to a pot hole. Odie, you say that if I have comprehensive insurance my rates won't go up? I do have full coverage so.. if my rates won't go up I'll go that route..
Old 11-15-2006, 01:19 AM
TECH Resident

odie > insurance. i've heard stories
Old 11-15-2006, 11:24 AM
High on diesel fumes

I just had my passenger side repainted cause someone keyed me, insurance covered it under comprehensive and it doesn't count against me AFAIK.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:37 AM
On The Tree

ACRYSOL is worth a shot. most auto paint shops cary it.
Old 11-15-2006, 03:37 PM
Banned

gasoline? that usually works wonders...
Old 11-15-2006, 05:59 PM
Banned

yeah gasoline will eat tar up...

Just make sure to wash car with Dawn right after....

But insurance is your best way to go...I've had multiple comprehensive claims and i pay 88$ a month for an 06 GTO
Old 11-15-2006, 06:16 PM
Coy
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 64CAMINO
ACRYSOL
Old 11-15-2006, 06:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WTF??? I'm wondering why you aren't going after the people that fucked up your car?!?!?!

There has got to be more to the story if you are even thinking about fixing it yourself or filing a claim on your own policy.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:54 PM
Staging Lane

I went door to door trying to find out who did it and who was responsible.. I filed a report with the police and I spoke with all five companies in the area that do road construction, none of which would take any blame for it or even give me information regarding any current work done that day. At this point I don't have anything else I can think of that I can do outside of fixing it myself.. Which is why I posted here =)
Old 11-17-2006, 10:44 PM
Teching In

I do paving and tack sealing and the things I would suggest to do would be...

1. Sand and repaint

2. Rag and gasoline (get rag wet with gas then rub the tar/tack)

3. Rag and starting fluid (probably the best. Spray starting fluid right on the tar/tack and rub with rag)

I suggest using "grease rags" (if you find them too rough, put them through a few cycles in the washer and dryer, that'll soften them up) or t-shirts.
Old 11-18-2006, 08:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sweetask1ng
I went door to door trying to find out who did it and who was responsible.. I filed a report with the police and I spoke with all five companies in the area that do road construction, none of which would take any blame for it or even give me information regarding any current work done that day. At this point I don't have anything else I can think of that I can do outside of fixing it myself.. Which is why I posted here =)
Gotcha. I agree with the others that gasoline removes tar, but I've only tried it on skin.

I gather you didn't get a look at the truck either, otherwise you could go to each yard and try to spot it.

Good luck.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Screwed by a tar truck, need advice in AZ!