Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How long to break in heads?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 02:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How long to break in heads?

I just installed heads and cam. My question is how long should i break in the heads and cam before pushing it. I was figuring at least three good heat cycles for the springs, but what about the heads?
Old 11-15-2006, 03:19 AM
10 Second Club

id just make sure everything was ok and then go out and do some pulls its not a flat tappet cam that needs to be broken in and i dont see why the springs or anything else would need time to break in or be heat cycled
Old 11-15-2006, 08:48 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Long Beach
I just installed heads and cam. My question is how long should i break in the heads and cam before pushing it. I was figuring at least three good heat cycles for the springs, but what about the heads?
whats your gain after insatalling cam and heads?
Old 11-15-2006, 10:23 AM

Go to a local shop that builds race motors. They're not going to start the motor and heat cylce it three times before making some WOT pulls loading the motor WAY harder than any boat/car/truck application ever could.

It's probably not a bad idea to heat cycle it, and of course don't beat on it too much because it has new components, but you could certainly roll into it a few times to see what she has.

Ben T.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:32 AM
TECH Resident

if the heads are a new casting and are not stress relieved f, then you will need to retq the head bolts after a few heat cycles
Old 11-15-2006, 11:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Studytime
Go to a local shop that builds race motors. They're not going to start the motor and heat cylce it three times before making some WOT pulls loading the motor WAY harder than any boat/car/truck application ever could.

It's probably not a bad idea to heat cycle it, and of course don't beat on it too much because it has new components, but you could certainly roll into it a few times to see what she has.

Ben T.
Since we're talking about roller cam applications, there isn't a break in required for the cam & lifters. With flat-tappet cams, they will often break in the cam in a race motor with light duty (or just the outer) springs, then install the full boogie set before making any pulls. I've read several people recommend a few heat cycles for high rate springs, as well as always letting the engine come up to operating temp before abusing it.

Whether it's necessary or not is open for debate, but I know when it's my money in my car, I'll be giving it a little time.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by torlak_t
whats your gain after insatalling cam and heads?
I dont know what the numbers are because i have not tunned it yet. And they were used heads that were ported and milled. I used afr head bolts and i was planning checking the torque in a week or so just to be sure. I already rechecked the rockers to make sure they stayed arround 25f/lb. I just wanted to make sure before i take it over 4000 rpm's. The most i have pushed it so far is only 3500 so i have been waiting to push it to at least 5500. It has a lot more power than it did before and i can really feel it arround 2500 and up. I will keep you guys posted after i go wot. thanks
Old 11-15-2006, 09:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I finally did a good run today on the new heads and cam. Wow! My car pulls hard as hell. It was like all i was dooing was shifting going through gear after gear non stop until i got to forth. I cant wait to get it tunned, i think it will make it pull harder and more smoothly. Still dont have any times or anything but trust me the heads and cam made it into a whole new car. thanks again