Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Support rail 3.900-3.940

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 11:47 PM
7 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Oil Support rail 3.900-3.940

The instructions don't state if you should file them so they don't overlap on the piston. Should they be filed so they have a gap or leave them as is overlapping at the end?
Old 11-16-2006, 10:25 AM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Phil...

If the piston manufacturer sent you the right support rail there should already be a gap when its installed on the piston. The ring will only overlap itself in its free state, not when installed around the piston (it opens up a little when you work its way on to the piston and is meant to do that to keep it tight). Also note the small punch mark that protrudes from one side....its meant to be face fown and located between either of the gaps in the oil rail ring land between the wrist pin hole. That is to insure the support rail doesnt spin under operating conditions.

Try to install all eight when your actually ready....getting one off a piston is a bigger PITA than installing it (without scratching a piston or screwing up the support rail).

Hope this helps...

Tony
Old 12-02-2013, 06:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not to start new thread, I'm doing quick refresh on my motor and noticed that my oil rail support rings DO overlap on the pistons. I watched Probe Industries video where they say there is dimple to prevent support rail from rotating, and that ends should not overlap, but I don't have any dimples, instead support is prevented from rotating by overlapping ends in the pin hole.
Is this even possible?? I was ready to file it down so it would have gap, but I couldn't find any dimples
Attached Thumbnails Oil Support rail 3.900-3.940-photo.jpg  
Old 12-02-2013, 06:35 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Usually, no its not supposed to be like that. Call the manufacturer of the rings, email them that picture, and see what the deal is. Normally, it is just as Tony said. They open up once installed in the ring groove and do not overlap.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:35 AM
11 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetal
Not to start new thread, I'm doing quick refresh on my motor and noticed that my oil rail support rings DO overlap on the pistons. I watched Probe Industries video where they say there is dimple to prevent support rail from rotating, and that ends should not overlap, but I don't have any dimples, instead support is prevented from rotating by overlapping ends in the pin hole.
Is this even possible?? I was ready to file it down so it would have gap, but I couldn't find any dimples
You have the wrong support !!! The ring land groove in the piston is the right
thickness for the rail support and the expander plus two oil control rings. ANY
overlap like that and you would not even be able to fit the other three peices.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by A.R. Shale Targa
You have the wrong support !!! The ring land groove in the piston is the right
thickness for the rail support and the expander plus two oil control rings. ANY
overlap like that and you would not even be able to fit the other three peices.
OK now. See the picture, this overlap is in the pin area. They obviously fit, if I took these pistons out of my engine

Quick Reply: Oil Support rail 3.900-3.940