Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about venting a carbed LS1

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 02:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Question about venting a carbed LS1

Just started my car last night and it is making an awful high pitched squealing noise that is a vacuum problem. I have the pcv going to the back of the carb. and T-ing off of that going to the other valve cover. The other vent tube on the pass. side valve cover I capped off. I need to some how vent this motor some how, do I just run a breather on the valve cover or how are other people doing this. Please let me know.
Old 11-17-2006, 05:00 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Usually people run a breather on one valve cover and aPCV in the other. At least on traditional V8's. I don't see why this wouldn't apply to LSX's also. I know on the stock engine the two vents run together and then into the throttle body.

You could (A) run a breather in the capped valve cover or (B) run the two vents together into the carb.

When I was much younger I ran a Gen I engine with a push in cap in one valve cover and a PCV in the other. Later while tooling down the highway...Pop, Ting ,Ting, Ting. Blew the cap right off the motor and sprayed oil in the engine bay what a mess.
Old 11-17-2006, 07:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,386 Likes on 875 Posts

The the PCV valve pointed in the right direction?

Andrew
Old 11-18-2006, 08:46 PM
Staging Lane

from what i read here, the LS1 needs vented well. it has been claimed that ls1 motors will blow by pretty quick under crankcase pressure. the other problem is oil use from pvc venting the valve covers, claimed oil misting. I can't confirm any of this. my conversion has seen any miles yet. I did read twin breathers and the valley only under pcv valve works and resolves both issues. again, i can't confirm it...
Old 11-21-2006, 04:26 PM
10 Second Club

i run one breather on the pass side and ran a hose from the pcv on the drive. side to the tube on the pass valve cover my brake booster is ran in to the back of my carb.
Old 11-22-2006, 08:20 PM
On The Tree

I ended up putting a breather on the pcv valve and ran a hose off of the rear pass side tube to the air cleaner. I hope it ends up working OK.
Old 11-27-2006, 06:17 PM
Staging Lane

i put a small import type breather on the tube on passenger side valve cover and ran hose on driver side to back of my intake on carbed 6.0 with a victor jr. seems to work so far?
Old 11-28-2006, 07:56 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

for carb'd, id cap off everything and run a breather where your oil cap runs.
i know some guys run a line from valve cover to valve cover, but the pressure will release either way.
wagner(WAR) has a nice valley pan with a stand that will accept a clamp on filter. i might go with one while ive got my intake off.
Old 02-07-2007, 04:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Any one have pics, of how they hooked up pvc and break booster

Quick Reply: Question about venting a carbed LS1