Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

power window motors

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 08:07 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default power window motors

my 99 formy power windows have crapped..well the drivers side anyways..i was curious as to where any of you may have gotten them from..how much they cost etc..and how long they lasted..especially if you bought new ones..here are the ones i was looking at on ebay.com

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=016

please let me know if these are worth it or where you have gotten yours at and how much they were!!!
Old 11-16-2006, 08:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would go with an on-line OEM supplier. You get what you pay for with the aftermarket junk. Check the sponsors. I bought an OEM AC Delco from Advanced Auto parts for $49.95.
Old 11-16-2006, 10:12 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

You can get new Seimens and Dorman units from AutoZone (and others) for around $60 with a lifetime warranty.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:54 PM
On The Tree

I got mine off Ebay from a Dr. Auto. I paid $20 plus shipping. I figured I couldent go wrong and it came with the regulator also. So far so good at about 6 months but we will see!!!
Old 11-18-2006, 06:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

I got both sides from Advance Auto with a lifetime warranty when I first got the car.

The drivers side cr*pped out after 18 months, huh, no problem, they have a lifetime warranty. I take it back and get an exchange, but I look at the receipt on the replacement, and no mention of "lifetime" warranty?.
So I ask and get told, the "Lifetime" warranty covers the item you first bought, NOT the second one, that gets a 3 month warranty, so my "Lifetime" warranty is now a 21 month warranty.

Its a con, lifetime only means the life of the original motor, if it cr*ps out after a week, your warranty is 97 days! (the 7 days it lasted, and 90 days on the replacement).

Sara Lou
Old 11-18-2006, 07:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

I bought a motor from that Ebay seller, he was a really nice guy, got a good deal, and it has a lifetime warranty. Has worked for 2+ years.
Old 11-18-2006, 08:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

I bought one from Advanced Auto today for $55 with a lifetime warranty. The installation was a little more involved than i thought but pretty much straigh forward. I am however interested to hear that crap about their "lifetime" warrantys i guess we'll have to see.
Old 11-18-2006, 08:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by firebird5134
I bought one from Advanced Auto today for $55 with a lifetime warranty. The installation was a little more involved than i thought but pretty much straigh forward. I am however interested to hear that crap about their "lifetime" warrantys i guess we'll have to see.
The motor you just bought IS warrantied for life, BUT, if that one breaks, the replacement will only have 90 days warranty.

In other words, the one you just bought, if it lasts 10 years it will still be under warranty and you can get it replaced. However, if it only lasts a week, your "Lifetime" warranty ends, and you get a replacement with 90 days.

"Lifetime" covers the life of the motor you originally purchased, and does not extend to any replacement if it breaks.

Sara Lou
Old 11-18-2006, 08:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Zralou
I got both sides from Advance Auto with a lifetime warranty when I first got the car.

The drivers side cr*pped out after 18 months, huh, no problem, they have a lifetime warranty. I take it back and get an exchange, but I look at the receipt on the replacement, and no mention of "lifetime" warranty?.
So I ask and get told, the "Lifetime" warranty covers the item you first bought, NOT the second one, that gets a 3 month warranty, so my "Lifetime" warranty is now a 21 month warranty.

Its a con, lifetime only means the life of the original motor, if it cr*ps out after a week, your warranty is 97 days! (the 7 days it lasted, and 90 days on the replacement).

Sara Lou
What brand?
Old 11-18-2006, 09:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LS1obsession
What brand?
Cheapest.... the $55 one .

Sara Lou
Old 11-20-2006, 08:21 PM
On The Tree

Hey just replaced both of my motors in my convertible and it cost me $52 a piece from auto zone with a life time warranty. As far as it only being good on the first one like Advance it is for the life of the vehicle. My buddy has replaced his with ones from auto zone 3 times in 5 years and he only paid that one time. I would go to AUTO ZONE. $52
Old 03-18-2007, 04:10 PM
Teching In

Bought a 35k mile 02 Firebird yesterday and both damn windows have problems hanging up. We had an 00 model that had the driverside out Father in law replaced .
Is there an updated info to what is the best motor to go with, I don't want to just keep replacing them. What is all involved with changing them out? Father in law said something about rivets etc... What tools are needed etc.... I haven't looked behind the panels yet or anything. I want to get the parts,tools everything I need and do it all at once .

I guess I'll be drilling out the rivets etc... Is there room to drill and then to place a rivet gun in there on install? HELP!!!
Old 03-19-2007, 10:35 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....1&postcount=18
Old 03-20-2007, 12:09 AM
Teching In

Thank you! This is the only post that I really found during the time I had to search. Great info...I love this site

Quick Reply: power window motors