General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Oil on Spark Plug Questions....

Old 11-16-2006, 08:38 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil on Spark Plug Questions....

I'm losing a lot of oil (added 3qts in 2500 miles) so I did a leakdown test and a compression test. Both tests checked out just fine. I found oil on the number 5 and 7 spark plugs, though. I'm assuming that if the rings are good then I might have some leaky valve stem seals. My dealer mechanic told me it could still be coming through the rings. How is that if the compression is still good. Any ideas? I'm just trying to avois having to tear the engine completely apart to get to the rings. I'm hoping it's something much simpler. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 11-16-2006, 08:55 PM
Launching!

pcv system maybe?? Is there oil in your intake tube??
Old 11-16-2006, 08:59 PM
Launching!

I checked in the intake and there was absolutely minimal oil... not even wet. Haven't checked the pcv valve or the hose, though.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:00 PM
Launching!

smoking on startup? acceleration? if its not going through the pcv system then it must be burning it or leaking it somewhere. I'm assuming you checked the obvious like leaks?
Old 11-17-2006, 09:25 AM
TECH Resident

If your PCV line is clogged it will cause pressure buildup in the bottom end and cause alot of blow-by around the rings.

I had this happen once, luckily I do routein oil analysis with Blackstone and the report came back the oil was showing signs of heat stress and had a slight bit of fuel in it along with higher levels of insolubles.

Didn't take me but a couple of minutes to figure out what the most probable cause was. I fixed it and the next analysis returned back to normal level readings.
Old 11-19-2006, 12:23 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by nofearracing28
smoking on startup? acceleration? if its not going through the pcv system then it must be burning it or leaking it somewhere. I'm assuming you checked the obvious like leaks?
It doesn't smoke on start up but I noticed some smoke upon hard acceleration. I also noticed that it really doesn't pull as hard as it should (feels like it's got the stock motor in it and not the stroker motor!). Would I be wise to check the valve stem seals as well considering the oil on the #5 and #7 spark plugs?
Old 11-19-2006, 10:01 AM
Launching!

If it were the valve stem seals it would smoke on start up too. Like weezzer said, maybe a clogged pcv system somewhere.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:38 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Weezzer
If your PCV line is clogged it will cause pressure buildup in the bottom end and cause alot of blow-by around the rings.

I had this happen once, luckily I do routein oil analysis with Blackstone and the report came back the oil was showing signs of heat stress and had a slight bit of fuel in it along with higher levels of insolubles.

Didn't take me but a couple of minutes to figure out what the most probable cause was. I fixed it and the next analysis returned back to normal level readings.
Ok, so i decided to check the PCV system again. Don't ask me why I didn't check the valve earlier... I took it off this morning and it was absolutley burnt. I had thick, black crud around it and it smelled like it had been in an oil fire. I replaced the valve. What other parts of the PCV system need to be inspected? (I'm gonna set my car on fire if a $5 part solves my problems )

Search this Thread