LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Intake Heat Shield

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 10:48 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Intake Heat Shield

Well I would like to start by saying that I would have more pics of this mod, but my card took a dump and I lost the pictures I took of each step.

The first mod to the car I made was an intake, unfortunatly I didn't know any better and got a cheap one off Ebay, that came with a K&N filter. I have realized that the filter does not go very low into the cavity where the airbox once was.

So I got the idea to make a heat shield when my roommate and I went to a scrap metal shop and picked up two aluminum sheets for 3 bucks.
They were oxidized pretty heavily but with some steel wool and laquer thinner I was able to get it polished out.

This is the other sheet of aluminum.

I started by cutting a 12 by 9 inch chunk out of the aluminum with my dremel. Thats what I did all the work with. I took the intake out and just started making small cuts untill I got in the shape I want it. I got lucky when cutting out the hole for the filter. It fit perfect.

I took a picture of the piece of after I cut it up but I lost it. From there I took a picture of the Z28 badge on my fender and then sized it up and cut it out after I printed it off. From there my roommate taped the logo down on the metal and cut out the edges with a razor blade. I then painted it with some flat black paint with several coats.

Here is the end result. I wish I had a system where I could see the intake temps before and after the heat shield and see if I gained anything.

I still need to get some sort of sealer trim to go around the edges to help seal some more and prevent it from rubbing anything.

Its kind of a bad write up cause I lost all the pictures and I am in the middle of watching Fight Club. But I think you get the picture.

-bryan
Old 11-18-2006, 11:59 AM
TECH Regular

Well this morning when I took my roommate to work there weren't many people on the road and I was able to get on it a bit. I believe the heat shield might be working. For the first time, I was able to roll on the throttal pretty good, but not slam it, and break the back tires loose... oh it was sweet!

-bryan
Old 11-18-2006, 01:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice, looks really clean.
Old 11-18-2006, 01:32 PM
TECH Regular

The pictures don't do it justice. But I am really pleased with it..
For once something I did, worked like I wanted it to.

-bryan