Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 5.3L tubro s-10 project !!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 07:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 2000 5.3L tubro s-10 project !!!

Well my buddie and i are gonna be installing a 5.3 in his s-10. his plan was an LS1 but i got him convinced that a cheaper 5.3 with a turbo would be a much cooler idea..
I got prices to turbo it and he said its on.
So its all drawn up now we are just waitin for money weird huh.
i am tryin to get pics but i might get a vid and put it up cause its the cleanest s-10 ever bagged lays frame and some 3000$$$$ 20in rims super clean gona be the badest bagged turboed s-10 in the country. last year at the indy truck and import show some guy took pics of it and the next month we found pics of his truck in the stylinconcepts catolog on page 44-45.

sorry for the long post with no intent im just so pumped to get this project underway and i will be droppin in from time to time to get all your guys help i know ill need it.. thanks all
Old 11-20-2006, 08:06 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, have fun with it.....

It's a tight fit. 2wd's have a wee bit more room underhood than 4x4 / awd trucks, but not radically more. I have thought about a turbo for the 6.0l in my Bravada, but am concentrating on getting it fully functional first. Somewhere down the road I'll add boost.....

Be careful boosting a stock motor (LS1 or a truck motor). The stock pistons are only good to somewhere around 6psi, and the rods aren't good for much more than that (maybe 8?). So, think carefully about what you want, because you may want to put pistons and rods in the motor before you put it in the truck. But, reading your signature, you're probably already aware of that......

'JustDreamin'
Old 11-20-2006, 11:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

LOL yeah i know what the motors will take and i use to have a STS kit on my camaro main reason he wants a turbo on his truck boost is addicting also im hooked on nitrous now LOL should be a tight fit thats for sure
Old 11-21-2006, 08:23 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by JustDreamin
Well, have fun with it.....

It's a tight fit. 2wd's have a wee bit more room underhood than 4x4 / awd trucks, but not radically more. I have thought about a turbo for the 6.0l in my Bravada, but am concentrating on getting it fully functional first. Somewhere down the road I'll add boost.....

Be careful boosting a stock motor (LS1 or a truck motor). The stock pistons are only good to somewhere around 6psi, and the rods aren't good for much more than that (maybe 8?). So, think carefully about what you want, because you may want to put pistons and rods in the motor before you put it in the truck. But, reading your signature, you're probably already aware of that......

'JustDreamin'
i think you need to do some more research before you go posting false information.....

good luck on the swap man!!! sounds sweet. the guy that built all the turbo stuff on my car has a turbo 6.0 in his 00' blazer. pm me or him (417motorsports) for a few pics.
Old 11-21-2006, 08:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

pics yes please
Old 11-22-2006, 06:36 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by fitz98ta
i think you need to do some more research before you go posting false information.....
What part of that was false?

Last I checked under the hood of my Bravada, its a tight fit (which was Sunday, showing it off to a Ford buddy). At this point it runs and drives pretty well. But, I think I've got 3/8" clearance between the PS pump pulley and the electric fans (using C5 access, radiator in stock location, f-body electric fans). And the Drivers' side manifold (heavily mod'd f-body) is within about 3/8" of the steering column. And I had to notch the AC/Heater box for clearance. And the transfer case is real close to the floor and the torsion bar crossmember (only had to do some grinding / sanding on the tcase to let it fit).

2wd's have a bit more room than 4x4's, because you have the have the opportunity to put the engine lower and further rearward (if you desire), whereas you have to clear the front differential on the 4x4. So, by putting the motor in lower, I might have been able to avoid notching the heater box if my truck was 2wd. And the 2wd's don't have a torsion bar crossmember or a tcase to fit in, so the engine can go a little further rearward towards the firewall.

The stock pistons and rods are not really all that strong. Sure, you probably could run 15 psi on the stock pistons and rods for a while but they won't take that kind of abuse for long (kinda like trying to run 1000hp on a stock Ford small block, it'll do it, but sooner or later it'll go boom).

'JustDreamin'
Old 11-28-2006, 08:53 AM
Launching!

ya im not seeing what was false about that either. Though i do believe the stock bottom end can take more then 8psi for extended periods of time, thats just an opinion and may not be true for every car. I wouldnt say the stock bottom can only take 6-8 psi, its more along the lines of, it can handle that boost safely, with a very small chance of breaking. I believe 10-12 psi is easily possible to run for quite sometime, and on a totally stock motor you'll be in the neighborhood of 550RWHP, which the bottom end can handle. All depends on how often you'll have it at the track under full boost, the car would be totally streetable as your not getting an boost at lower RPMs.

Quick Reply: 2000 5.3L tubro s-10 project !!!