Sponsored by:

My mod plans over the next year, tell me what you think

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 11:24 PM
Syn
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My mod plans over the next year, tell me what you think

My car is totally stock right now. I just got it in April but haven't had much extra money for mods, but I will have some cash to play with after Christmas and I also met someone who has an LS1 GTO and does work on the side for a good price. Here's my current plan. Any additions/suggestions are welcome.

1. Lid - Might opt for that SLP FloPac but I have read that nothing but the lid actually gains any measurable amount of power.

2. Catback - I thought about getting full exhaust with LTs and ORY to go with it but I don't know if I want to spend the extra money on that yet. I really just want to get some more sound out of the car for now.

3. Cam - I want to get a mild cam that doesn't require me to do anything else like heads or fuel. This one depends on price of labor and tuning but I'd really like to get one.

4. (still thinking about this one) TC - What stall would be best for a mainly street-driven car with a mild cam? Also I would get an upgraded oil cooler to go with it. Is there anything else I ought to get while doing this?

Ideally I want a car that can run mid 12s. Is this enough to get me there on street tires? Thanks.
Old 11-18-2006, 11:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Before you do a cam you need to the torque converter first. Also one more thing is do the long tubes. If u do long tubes torque converter and some radials 12's should be no problem. If you want a mild cam in the future just do a mild stall something like a 3200.
Old 11-21-2006, 12:17 PM
TECH Junkie

get a lid, full exhaust, stall, gears and if you have enough money get a decent cam. Do your research before getting a cam and you will be happy.
Old 11-21-2006, 12:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

all u need is a stall and some exhaust and ull be running some NICE 1/4 times.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Agreed with ^^ posts. If you go with a cam, make sure you have a good, free flowing exhaust and at least a lid to get more from the cam. IMO get your stall, lid, ls6 intake(if you'd like) LTs and ory/duals then go with your cam. Research some cams (great write ups and testamonies on here) to see which one fits you best. You dont want to go too small becuase you might end up wanting to upgrade within a year or so. The sticky in the "internal engines" forum has a good cam read up. Also, dont forget about a tune as well. All in all sounds like you have the right idea, good luck with the modding
Old 11-21-2006, 07:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by black01_WS6
get a lid, full exhaust, stall, gears and if you have enough money get a decent cam. Do your research before getting a cam and you will be happy.
agreed.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

yea definately get full exhaust and stall before you get a cam
Old 11-21-2006, 09:59 PM
Syn
On The Tree

Looking purely at power gained for the money, would I not be better off getting a cam before exhaust? Aren't some cams actually designed for use with the stock headers?

I would of course do the lid and stall first, but I'm still not sold on doing the exhaust before a cam. I'm sure it is probably the 'logical' thing to do and I know I won't get as much out of a cam with stock exhaust, but wouldn't I gain more by getting a cam first? Full exhaust can get somewhat pricey, that's the only reason I ask. I definitely want to get at least the catback for the sound gain first, but LTs and ORY cost about as much as the catback again if not more.