Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just got my cam from East Coast Superchargers but was packed very poorly..have questi

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 11:34 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got my cam from East Coast Superchargers but was packed very poorly..have questi

Ok, so my cam from East Coast just came in. It was not packed well.

The cam lobes are all FINE.

The base circle areas have some microscratches on them that go long ways from the front to back of the cam. They can't be "felt" with your finger but they are there.

Anyone think this is a problem? I can't remember what my old 306 looked like but I seem to remember it having scratches on it like this and it was used...and worked fine for 80k miles.

Last edited by jeffstar; 11-19-2006 at 11:58 AM.
Old 11-19-2006, 12:17 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It is hydraulic and not solid, so I don't think that you are in danger of having a problem with it. Just don't take any abrasive material/liquid to it. Coat it in WD40 or something and let it hang out till you install it. Or some 5-10 w30 in a bag.
Old 11-19-2006, 10:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

pics???
Old 11-19-2006, 10:18 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
It is hydraulic and not solid, so I don't think that you are in danger of having a problem with it. Just don't take any abrasive material/liquid to it. Coat it in WD40 or something and let it hang out till you install it. Or some 5-10 w30 in a bag.
Yeah, it was actually shipped in a bad and well oiled. Problem is, the cam was just left in the little CompCam box and taped up. I guess it's fine?
Old 11-19-2006, 11:29 AM
yak
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

thats how 2 of my cams came, just taped up in a box, but they werent scratched.
Old 11-19-2006, 11:58 AM
TECH Resident

Pics added to original post.
Old 11-19-2006, 12:35 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think you are fine Jeff. That is how they sell them over the counter. I imagine that they took it out of the box/inspected/shipped it after taping it back into the box. As long as the fedex guy didn't play croquet with it you can rest assured that it will not give you problems.

What are the specs on it anyway?
Old 11-19-2006, 12:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, what are the cam lobe numbers on the back of the cam?? And specs if you got a cam card..
Old 11-19-2006, 12:44 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by chriswtx
Yeah, what are the cam lobe numbers on the back of the cam?? And specs if you got a cam card..
Sorry guys. I do not have that information. This cam is the grind East Coast made 505 rwhp on a stock shortblock/TFS heads C5 .
Old 11-19-2006, 12:45 PM
TECH Resident

I think you are fine Jeff. That is how they sell them over the counter. I imagine that they took it out of the box/inspected/shipped it after taping it back into the box. As long as the fedex guy didn't play croquet with it you can rest assured that it will not give you problems.

No specs, custom grind.

Thanks guys! I guess it will be fine.
Old 11-19-2006, 12:47 PM
Launching!

that cam looks fine....i'm curious about the specs also
Old 11-19-2006, 12:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

If its a comp cam there should be 2 lobe numbers etched on one of the back sides of the cam..
Old 11-19-2006, 12:58 PM
TECH Resident

If its a comp cam there should be 2 lobe numbers etched on one of the back sides of the cam..
Oh you mean before they added these security marks?

ECS were really nice to work with, I couldn't tell you the specs if I knew them. I mean I could cam Dr. the cam but that would be BS I wouldn't do that to somebody. They worked hard to make this cam design work well with TFS heads on a 346 CID motor. I can't wait until I get it together, tuned and have some Dyno numbers!

Old 11-19-2006, 01:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, but its just a cam with comp lobes. Its nice to have a cam card so you can degree the cam in and make sure it was ground correctly and is installed where you want it. Plus I would want to know exactly how big and what LSA cam I bought. Chris and Doug are good guys, but in the end thats why I didn't buy their blower cam. I wanted to know what I was buying. So in the end I called comp cams and had the grind me my own "secret" cam..
Old 11-19-2006, 01:09 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow. I take it you don't drive much since you're dropping in a max effort cam like that. Good luck with it and let us know how you like it.
Old 11-19-2006, 01:25 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah, but its just a cam with comp lobes. Its nice to have a cam card so you can degree the cam in and make sure it was ground correctly and is installed where you want it. Plus I would want to know exactly how big and what LSA cam I bought. Chris and Doug are good guys, but in the end thats why I didn't buy their blower cam. I wanted to know what I was buying. So in the end I called comp cams and had the grind me my own "secret" cam..
Oh they told me the general specs. I know the general lift (under 600) and the LSA 114° and it's in the 230s.

Funny thing is anything I get over 475 rwhp I'll be ecstatic. I had to pick a camshaft and this one wasn't any more then any other camshaft I priced out. Brian at TEA recommended it...and after seeing the Dyno graph and the video of that 505 rwhp C5 car I knew I wanted to try it.

ECS also told me to go with a .030 mill to get the compression 11.4:1 or so (with stock gaskets) which is how their car was set up. Now I have crappy Hooker LT's and a Edelbrock cat back on the car now....after the first dyno/tune of the TFS heads and this cam, I'll be building a true dual or 4" system (keeping the crappy Hookers for now) to find more power.

All in all it should be a really fun setup.
Old 11-19-2006, 01:26 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by N4cer
Wow. I take it you don't drive much since you're dropping in a max effort cam like that. Good luck with it and let us know how you like it.
It's not that big of a cam. But no, my Daily is an 01 F250 Diesel.
Old 11-19-2006, 01:42 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whoa I see that it's a relatively tame cam. I've gotta hear your results. I mean no offense at all, but I have no idea how a small cam like that will make that kind of power on an accurate dyno. I believe that you can since you put effort into a matching setup, so let us know how it goes. I want to learn from your experience, if you don't mind.
Old 11-19-2006, 01:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Are you goiong to the trick flow heads as well??
Old 11-19-2006, 01:58 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by N4cer
Whoa I see that it's a relatively tame cam. I've gotta hear your results. I mean no offense at all, but I have no idea how a small cam like that will make that kind of power on an accurate dyno. I believe that you can since you put effort into a matching setup, so let us know how it goes. I want to learn from your experience, if you don't mind.
Exactly. Seems hard to believe to me also. Here is my setup:

TEA TFS heads milled .030
FAST 90 w/ NW 90 port matched
ECS cam
HS Roller Rockers

We'll see

Quick Reply: Just got my cam from East Coast Superchargers but was packed very poorly..have questi