Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 5.3 into 86 z28? smog laws (ca)?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 12:52 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 5.3 into 86 z28? smog laws (ca)?

i have an 86 camaro z28 and id like to put in a motor ive got laying around. i believe ill have to put all the smog stuff from the motors vehicle right? 05 silvy..... california smog..... also how much work is it going to be just swapping out the motor, and making the motor mounts, exhaust, wiring, accessories all work. any help?
Old 11-19-2006, 05:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

swapping in the 5.3 is easy enough... you can get all the info and services you need here on the Forum... You can buy adapters and mount almost everwhere, I made my own mount with just hand tools and a welder. Check the Sticky's for services of the wiring and PCM.

The hard part will be getting it pass to SMOG. Everything related to the 5.3's smog, ODBII, sensors, CAT's, Check Engine light, etc will have to be used.

Good luck.
Old 11-19-2006, 01:55 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by black86z28
i have an 86 camaro z28 and id like to put in a motor ive got laying around. i believe ill have to put all the smog stuff from the motors vehicle right? 05 silvy..... california smog..... also how much work is it going to be just swapping out the motor, and making the motor mounts, exhaust, wiring, accessories all work. any help?
I assuming a "Silvy" is a silverado. If thats the case you wont be able to do the conversion legaly. According to the BAR you can not put a truck engine in a passenger vehicle because they have different smog requirements.