Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP Question for checking ptv

Old 11-19-2006, 10:55 AM
yak
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Default HELP Question for checking ptv

So I just flycut my pistons and want to check my ptv. how do I use the lifters so that they will not compress under the spring pressure? or do I just subract a standard value? Also is it ok to put the heads on and torque then to say 45ft pounds for ptv check or should I really tighten them down?
Old 11-19-2006, 11:06 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the only way to do it with the hydraulic lifters is use checking springs, they are really low pressure springs that barely hold the valve closed.Comp sells them) I guess they are not supposed to collapse the lifter at all.
Old 11-19-2006, 11:18 AM
yak
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

yeah, but it would assume that the lifter would only collapse to a certain value and that if they collapsed say .020 and my clay thickness was .090 that my ptv would be .070 I just don't know how much they collapse.
Old 11-19-2006, 11:52 AM
On The Tree

I didnt realize you were checking with clay..... I dont think there is anyway of telling how much one might collapse using the clay. Why not just use a dial indicator on the valve stem with the check springs?? Much more accurate that way.
Old 11-19-2006, 12:33 PM
JPH
TECH Junkie

Put A Wheel On It, Degree It, Use Soft Springs, Make Sure You are on The Bottom Side Of The Lobe, Adjust Valves To Zero Lash, Make Sure Checking Springs Aren't Open When You Find Zero Lash, You Can Feel This As You Are Turning The Rocker Bolt Down And It Tightens Or Just Starts To Push Down Your Soft Springs, Roll The Motor Over Untill The Exhaust Valves Opens, And When It Starts To Close, Turn The Degree Wheel To 10* Btdc, Stop And Put A Dial Indicator On The Exhaust Retainer, Zero It In, Slow Press Down Untill Valve Contacts The Piston, Watch And Note Your Indicator Reading, Then Roll The Motor Slowly To 10* Atdc, And Do The Same Thing On The Intake Valve. Hope This Helps, And Hope You Have These Tools.

Search this Thread