Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Engineer types, and general brainiacs.. opinion wanted

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 08:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Engineer types, and general brainiacs.. opinion wanted

Here is a pic of my cold pipes leading to a CNC part that will be attached to my TB via 4" x4" silicone (no Maf). The edges have been hogged to make a somewhat smooth transition, but Im not sure if the voids...the areas of dead air along the wall where the pipes enter, will cause turbulence of the cold air...and if so, will it have a negative impact? Is it worth modifying to make it a smoother transition, or should I full the voids with triangles to lessen the dead spots? It it worth going oval with the CNC ring rather than round? Opinion of those with flow dynamics knowledge, or just plain theory , would be appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails Engineer types, and general brainiacs.. opinion wanted-tbpart.jpg   Engineer types, and general brainiacs.. opinion wanted-tbsplit.jpg  

Last edited by Jammer; 11-19-2006 at 08:22 PM.
Old 11-19-2006, 08:48 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally, I would have merged the 2 pipes together earlier so you could have a fairly shallow angle transitioning 2 to 1 pipes. (As you know merging them so close to the throttle body has resulted in a fairly sharp angle leading into the throttle body.)
Old 11-19-2006, 09:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Thanks...Do you suppose this somewhat sharp angle will effect tuning or performance is a measurable manor? This isnt desided to be a system I will MAX, well, certainly not often . We used two pipes due to the desire to keep the stock hoof latch in place. I was feeling this was a less than optimal design, but do you think it will cause issues? I agree, joining the pipes sooner would have been better... bur not as "pretty". I have often burdened myself with doing this "by the book, theory wise" and made my life more difficult by doing so (or those helping me), that I just want to be sure its worth re-doing.
Old 11-19-2006, 10:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like your idea and design however I too would have merged them more abruptly and further away. This would create a smooth and linear flow of air to the TB. I'm afraid that the way you have it would cause a restiction at the TB (possibly turbulance) and not take advantage of the flow that the TB would normally be cabable of. There is actually a Y-pipe intake on ebay that I've seen made for the corvette that is cheap and would be very beneficial to your setup
Old 11-19-2006, 10:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here it is. Pipe diameter maybe a little big but this design with a small straight pipe to the TB would work much better IMHO. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/97-00...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 11-19-2006, 10:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

A good start is maintaing the same cross sectional area along the length of your plumbing, or at the very least making sure the area does not change dramatically. Don't bother filling in the machined part. Instead, blend the two sections of pipe better and shove them into a larger diameter pipe that comes close to matching the TB. Attach to the TB with hose and clamps. You probably dont want a rigid attachment anyway.
Old 11-19-2006, 11:24 PM
TECH Addict

I am no expert but I like how your piece merges the pipes when they are parallel. Also you do have 4" between that piece and the throttle body which is a significant amount of space. If anything I would merge them earlier, as soon as they become almost parallel.

Look at the high HP cars running a carb-style intake and a sharp 90 degree elbow. Although it's a little different than you situation it is less than optimal... but they seem to do well with it.
Old 11-19-2006, 11:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Thanks guys, just as I suspected. I will have a hose connection between the two... It was a short cut in a way... not sure if we'll esperiment or run with it...easily changed at a later date as well. Im gabmeling using two medium sized IC's as well.

I think merging them where they meet, or at least 2-3 inches in would be a good move. Not sure we'll add that labor to the job this minute.
Old 11-19-2006, 11:25 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Jammer
Thanks...Do you suppose this somewhat sharp angle will effect tuning or performance is a measurable manor?
Probably won't be very measureable in itself, but all the little things can either add up in your favor or against it.

Not to say that I disagree with your motives, as compromises were made to my own cars turbo system for aesthetics and symmetry.

Quick Reply: Engineer types, and general brainiacs.. opinion wanted