Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 PS pump or orig Chevelle pump?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 11:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 PS pump or orig Chevelle pump?

I am installing an LS1 - T56 into my 72 El Camino and haven't seen anything about the power steering pumps. Are the LS1 pumps compatible with the older steering boxes? I have an 89 camaro pump with serpentine belt and thought it might be a better combo but woud have to customize mounts to make it work.
Any info is appreciated.
Old 11-20-2006, 01:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am using the stock 71 Chevelle steering box and the 99' F-Body LS1 pump.
Old 11-20-2006, 07:22 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I plan on using my LS1 pump, but I will be installing a '98 Grand Cherokee close ratio box.
Old 11-20-2006, 07:26 AM
TECH Resident

You could use the original 72 power steering pump, but the fun will be mounting it to the motor.

I would use whatever pump goes with the belt setup you're using (C5, f-body, truck, CTS-V, GTO, aftermarket) because engineering / building the bracketry to work with a serpentine belt setup is more difficult than any of the other concerns (hoses or pressure) I would have.

Hoses are pretty easy. The high pressure (pump to box) feed needs to be a high pressure hose. So, a factory hose will work, but you're unlikely to find one that fits properly (length, fittings, etc). I had good success with Russell's new braided stainless power steering hose & fittings on my Bravada. Bought the appropriate adapters for the pump and box, 2 90 degree ends, and a 3' length of hose from summit. Everything worked out just fine. Return hose is under low (relatively speaking) pressure, so you should be able to buy that hose at your local parts store (may end up with high pressure fuel line) and some hose clamps.

If necessary, you should be able to drop the output pressure by tampering with / replacing the spring that regulates the pump pressure (it's on the pump). Not sure how to do that, but I've seen reports of people doing it. On my Bravada, the C5 pump seems to put out about the right pressure. Steering effort might be just a shade light, but close enough that I'm not going to mess with it at this point. Maybe later.

'JustDreamin'
Old 11-20-2006, 11:39 AM
Teching In

I am also using the 99 Camero pump with the 71 Chevelle steering box. The pitman arm seal does have a small leak though.

Quick Reply: LS1 PS pump or orig Chevelle pump?