General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Squealing coming from Engine, power steering pump? pulley?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 04:08 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squealing coming from Engine, power steering pump? pulley?

Well I have tried about three or four searches without any luck.
This problem started a few weeks ago when it finally started to get cold in Texas. I had attempted to wash the engine bay about a week earlier as well.
Now it seems almost everytime I start my car from a cold start (sometimes warm start), I get this awful sounding squeal coming from the front of my engine. Although it does seem to happen more often when it is cold or humid. After no longer than a minute, the sound stops. I have already spent 60 dollars on new belts. I would like the next repair to fix this problem permanently. Could my power steering pump be going bad? I notice fluid constantly built up around the top of the reservoir. I also think I read somewhere on here about washing the out the grease from the pulley bearings? If anyone has any ideas, they would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 11-20-2006, 10:17 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

im pretty sure it just needs a new belt bc when you washed it it prob just got the belt wet then dried it out and now thats why you have that squeak. IMO just spend the $10 and get a new belt.
Old 11-20-2006, 11:02 AM
TECH Resident

bjamick
im pretty sure it just needs a new belt bc when you washed it it prob just got the belt wet then dried it out and now thats why you have that squeak. IMO just spend the $10 and get a new belt.
You did not read what I wrote. I just changed the belts. It was still squealing after changing them. I was hoping someone else was having similar issues and could maybe relay some information. I really just do not want to have to start replacing things.

Last edited by kny3twalker; 11-20-2006 at 11:20 AM.
Old 11-20-2006, 11:48 AM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

It could be your A/C compressor clutch. Also could be your cooling fan motor bearing.
Old 11-20-2006, 12:03 PM
TECH Resident

If it was the AC clutch though, I thought it should whine constantly. And I had to listen to the AC clutch go out on my LT1, this sounds nothing like that.

Cooling fan bearing, really? Its a quite loud squeal (sounds like a belt squeal) and the sound appears to be coming from one of the accessories, near the powers steering pump. Could a bearing in the cooling fan really make such a noise?
Old 11-20-2006, 12:23 PM
TECH Resident

I had a bad squeal from a power steering pump going out. It stopped squealing and smoked for a minute, then I didn't have power steering. This was on my DD
Old 11-20-2006, 01:59 PM
TECH Resident

how long was it squealing before it finally died? And did the squealing get worse over time? Did it only squeal when first warming up?

Not relevant but I am almost positive this is happening cause I washed the engine block. Thanks GM First Optispark on LT1, now they power steering pump on my LS1
Old 11-21-2006, 11:25 AM
TECH Resident

Well, I listened to the sound again yesterday, and at start up, it sounded like I had a bird stuck under hood. Chirp, Chirp........ Chirp, Chirp...... Chirp, Chirp
I know a belt is more of a squeal, and this is definitely a Chirp. Anyone have any thoughts?
Old 11-21-2006, 01:22 PM
TECH Resident

If it's a chirp sound then it doesn't sound like a bad power steering pump to me. That made a wierd nasty sound
Old 11-22-2006, 12:03 AM
TECH Resident

well what could it be then? it sounds like it is coming from the area near the power steering pump. is there a way to test/diagnose this to figure out what the problem maybe?
Old 11-22-2006, 02:36 PM
STA
Staging Lane

Check your pulleys. Usually the culprit when the belts have been changed and the chirping is still there. Just take off your belts, and spin each pulley till you find which one is bad.

Quick Reply: Squealing coming from Engine, power steering pump? pulley?