General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

battery or alt.

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 11:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default battery or alt.

sat. the belt on my t/a broke while I was going on the freeway . pulled over as quick as I could . after I got this fixed the battery was toast . charged up put it in and started right up . but now it is acting funny .I checked to see if the belt loosen anything when it broke but nothing . I got the battery checked and it fine . Can it be the alt. that is f@@k up .it still runs but when I slow down to make a stop the gage goes almost more than half way down. but press the gas a little and the gage goes back up .
Old 11-20-2006, 11:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'd get your batt checked.

My belt broke on the highway a couple of weeks ago also. Sucked ***, because it didn't just snap; it actually blew apart, busted at each of the grooves. It was all wrapped up around all the pullies. So I'm standing there trying to unwind all of these little belt strands from all of my pullies with cars blowing past me at 80 like 3 feet away
Old 11-21-2006, 09:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well i dont know what you mean by acting funny?.....but check the ribs on your pulleys, and the tensioner to get an idea of what maybe threw the belt, next check your connections....mainly that small little wire that attachs to the top of the alt.....also what range is the voltage in?
Old 11-22-2006, 07:11 PM
Teching In

I was checking the car today and started looking arould checking wires and what not , seems that the belt hit one of the spark plug wires by the alt. so I pulled cleaned it off put it back on , started it back again for about five min. and it now holds voltage fine. easy fix but feel like a dum ***.
Old 11-22-2006, 07:11 PM
Teching In

thanks too everybody