Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Front End Swap?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 04:06 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front End Swap?

In the process of swapping some ***** into my car, I had to remove the entire front fascia, and I realized how much the 80 looks like a REAL 2nd gen. Now I have no REAL problem with the four headlight nose, but I love the look of the early 70's big open GTO lookin grills. Anyone ever heard of swapping noses as I'm not looking to have to dig up something I can't fit Thanks guys!
Old 11-21-2006, 03:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it's the same generation I can't imagine there being any real problem. I know you can easily swap the 91-92 rounded nose over to the 90 and earlier 3rd Gen.
Old 11-21-2006, 04:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

I believe you can swap the front end, The harness wont be exact, and also your 80 3 piece from spoiler will not work with a early 70's front end. You will also need to change your hood as well. If you change your hood then your shaker(if you got one) will not work and you will need a early 70's shaker scoop that is smaller than the 77-81 style. its been awhile since I have had 2nd gens on my brain hope this helps..
Old 11-21-2006, 04:58 PM
TECH Addict

Anything is possible, but it will take a bit of work and fabbing to make it all fit. I'm sure the mounting points are different for early 70s to an 80. The hood and shaker part that 7901 said is also true. I think it would be alot easier to swap a late 70s nose for your 80. Although I think I remember reading something in High Performance Pontiac of a guy who had maybe a late 70s TA with a swapped 71ish nose, so it's possible.
Old 11-22-2006, 05:49 AM
On The Tree

Ya, from 70-81 were all 2nd gens so the only difference is in the front end and tail lights. From what I understand, everything else is nearly the same. I'm no longer using the shaker anyways, and the hood won't be a problem as either one is going to need a little "attention" for it to be usable on the car now. As for the harness I'm assuming you mean the headlight wiring? I kinda thought of that, but one of my guys at my shop says he can handle that. Sorry if I'm not thinkn of the right thing, it's pushin 7am and I'm still up lol. I had been thinkn of swapping noses becuase I'm sick of hearing Bandit this and Bandit that. Plus, the new 462 is a 71 block, so I figured it kinda go along. Not to mention the big open grills on the early 2nd gens wold probly flow more air than that....shape, for lack of a better term....between my headlights lol. Thanks for the help guys!
Old 11-22-2006, 08:04 AM
Teching In

I've actually seen it done. It was actually at a american muscle car club in Germany none the less. He swapped the clip to make it look like a 70 formula
Old 11-22-2006, 10:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by B/A 80 T/A
Ya, from 70-81 were all 2nd gens so the only difference is in the front end and tail lights. From what I understand, everything else is nearly the same. I'm no longer using the shaker anyways, and the hood won't be a problem as either one is going to need a little "attention" for it to be usable on the car now. As for the harness I'm assuming you mean the headlight wiring? I kinda thought of that, but one of my guys at my shop says he can handle that. Sorry if I'm not thinkn of the right thing, it's pushin 7am and I'm still up lol. I had been thinkn of swapping noses becuase I'm sick of hearing Bandit this and Bandit that. Plus, the new 462 is a 71 block, so I figured it kinda go along. Not to mention the big open grills on the early 2nd gens wold probly flow more air than that....shape, for lack of a better term....between my headlights lol. Thanks for the help guys!
If you are concerned about air flow to the radiator either front end will be good. it is just the later 70's became bottom breathers and the lower spoiler is a must. Formulas just got a standard air dam. As for Air to the Aircleaner use a shaker scoop with the back opened up, some Early 70's shakers actually had 3 screws to remove the plate. or Since you have you heart on
70, 70-1/2 front end. I would use the 71 Formula hood since that was actually functional ram air scoops. Just given you Ideas..
Old 11-22-2006, 06:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It will bolt right on. You can re-use your fenders though you will need to weld in the tab on the fender for the nose. Hood is different from 70-76 compared to 77-81.
My advice, get a fiberglass nose cone for 1970. Not the whole front clip, but just the nose cone. It will install alot easier. The harness will be something to contend with.
Another thing to keep in mind is that the subframe is different from 70-76 compared to 77-81. So be careful when ordering headers and related parts for subframes.
Also the a-arm bushings aren't all the same. For some reason they were the same on the top front for 79-81 but the top rears were different on the 81.
My point is order parts for the year body that you have and any make sure you document part numbers, such as belts, brake pads, in short any deviations so that future replacement or service is easy, if at least not for you, for the next owner.
Hows the motor coming?
Old 11-22-2006, 10:57 PM
On The Tree

Ya, I wasn't too sure if the fenders were the same or not. Thats good to know they're ok. I actually already have a ram air scoop so that's why I wasn't too worried about the hood. Alot of people run with no hood at the local(ish) track I'll be attending. So basically all I really need is the nose cone and some headlights? As far as the motor goes, I'm still checkin thru shops. Had a setback bcuase now my truck has to go to the shop so I'm out a few hundred there...trusty ol fords...and I have to find a new building to rent...but those are just speed bumps. Thanks for all the help everyone!
Old 11-25-2006, 01:34 PM
TECH Resident

I was planning on doing this before I sold my 76 earlier this year. VFN(sponser)-->
has some of the parts you will need in fiberglass.
Old 11-29-2006, 06:04 PM
Restricted User

This was a 78, changed to 76. Replaced hood & front end.
Fenders stayed. Good luck Dale

Old 11-30-2006, 02:34 AM
On The Tree

Looks great Dale!

Quick Reply: Front End Swap?