Sponsored by:

Heads and Cam Packages...Total price

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 11:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Heads and Cam Packages...Total price

Ok...

Engine wise...Ive got a relatively stock 2002 , see mods below.

I want this car to be extremely streetable..I have no intentions of doing the header dance (here in Cali to pass smog some guys swap exhaust systems to pass..Im too lazy)

Im not going to drag race..I do take it to road courses just to have a bit of fun but its not serious...its just a place to drive fast and not worry about tickets.

Id like to keep the total price LOW..I know low is a relative term....
I will NOT be doing the work....Id rather write a check

So I know Im looking at the price of teh package..
Installation and a tune afterwards...

The CheaterTR Package looks promising and I think Thunder Racing has a package but its expensive

Patriot is another way..about 1k less for the package..but it looks like you get a bit more stuff from Thunder.

What are the hidden costs for all this

THX

Last edited by BitViper; 11-22-2006 at 10:55 AM.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:36 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

how bout texas speed you can get the heads cam package for $1600 which is pretty low. And you can choose whatever cam you want and just get a little cam so that away it will be streetable.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:36 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont know total cost, but things to throw out there that you need.

Heads
Cam
Pushrods
Gaskets
Ported LS6 Oil pump ( Not needed, but highly reccomended)
Underdrive pulley ( Not needed, but for the price, mine as well do it while your in their)
New Timing Chain

When I first started learning about internal and head/cam swaps. There is NOT a way to go "CHEAP", there are routes that are "CHEAPER" but not CHEAP. If your going to do the swap, or pay to have it done, I would suggest doing everything right the first time. You dont have to get the best of the best, but dont skimp on small things.

http://ls1howto.com/index.php?article=2 This has alot of good points and tips on things you should know about the install. Along with the optional parts they suggest.

Chad
Old 11-21-2006, 12:08 PM
TECH Addict

You dont have to get the best of the best, but dont skimp on small things.
Absolutely!

Most of teh packages seem to come with pushrods roller rockers come with the thunder racing package

Last edited by BitViper; 11-21-2006 at 12:19 PM.
Old 11-21-2006, 12:12 PM
TECH Resident

It gets expensive very quickly. I had my cam swap done before my head swap and now I wish I performed both at the same time.

Think about it, they have to tear half the engine apart for the swap, mind as well get both done at the same time. Labor, misc parts, and a very important dyno tune add into the equation as well.

Do ample research and choose what suits YOU best. You may not want the longest duration cam for a DD, and heads can range from below $1K to over $2.5K. Check the Internal section for more info.
Old 11-21-2006, 01:35 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We offer plenty of different packages for budget minded consumers. The PRC 5.3l stg 2.5 heads & a 228 camshaft recently made over 430rwhp through cats! A package like that, or the PRC LS6 heads with camshaft would make awesome power! Keep in mind it's not just about price. You can find cylinder heads for a little bit cheaper than the PRC heads, but I think a quick search in the dyno section & you'll see the PRC heads are worth the extra few bucks...
404cid Stroker, 67mm Twins
994rwhp/902lb ft @ 22 psi (mustang dyno) www.Texas-Speed.com
Old 11-21-2006, 02:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Why not the CheaTR cam for 389 but not the package. The package is with AFR 205 assembled heads which are expensive so I think you may have had it right about looking into Patriot heads. Actually, there's a member here I think his name is 'ninetres' who has this combo and passed smog.
Old 11-21-2006, 04:32 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SmokeySS
Why not the CheaTR cam for 389 but not the package. The package is with AFR 205 assembled heads which are expensive so I think you may have had it right about looking into Patriot heads. Actually, there's a member here I think his name is 'ninetres' who has this combo and passed smog.
Yeah thanks Smokey..;passing smog is a must...livin in Cali...Uhggg

Im not trying to maximize my HP..but rather maximize my return on $$ spent
Thanks Jason..Ive been eying your site
Old 11-21-2006, 09:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Great question for our Internal Engine section.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

I want this car to be extremely streetable..I have no intentions of doing the header dance (here in Cali to pass smog some guys swap exhaust systems to pass..Im too lazy
why bother then, my cars fast with the stock cam . might be that bottle in the back though
Old 11-22-2006, 10:55 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by cws T/A
why bother then, my cars fast with the stock cam . might be that bottle in the back though
You know...Im fighting that question as well..

My fall back is to go with a good streatable cam and re-gear the beast....Im thinking that that might be the best "Seat of the Pants" soulution

Still intrested in having all the info b4 I do anything...cuz a cam and gears is gona cost about 2k installed....if for another 1K I can get more..thne it might be worth it
Old 11-22-2006, 12:00 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Jason 98 TA
We offer plenty of different packages for budget minded consumers. The PRC 5.3l stg 2.5 heads & a 228 camshaft recently made over 430rwhp through cats! A package like that, or the PRC LS6 heads with camshaft would make awesome power! Keep in mind it's not just about price. You can find cylinder heads for a little bit cheaper than the PRC heads, but I think a quick search in the dyno section & you'll see the PRC heads are worth the extra few bucks...

Plus the service you'll get at TSP is the best Part, just pick up the phone and call any of them they'll answer your questions, they'll talk to you not at you, and get you the set-up you are looking for. Texas Speed all the way!!!!!!!