New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this a scam ....someone trying to buy my car

Old 11-22-2006, 07:48 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is this a scam ....someone trying to buy my car

ok recently i put my car on www.mautofied.com and i had a email from a guy asking me to confirm my asknig price so i did $8,000 look today and this is the email he sent me back also iim not really a newbie but i just found this a little odd so i figured id get some oppinions on if this is in the wrong forum please let me know thanks..now here is the email i recived from him

Hello,

Thanks for your immediate response.Asking price is okay.Presently I am off the shores of Angola with my family where I work as a Drilling Engineer on the coastal explorations with Exxon Mobil Oilfields.So I will need to ask a colleague from my home town in Texas to send you a Cashier's Check.Please send me your address,full name and telephone number so that I can instruct my colleague to send you the Check.Since that is the only means of payment I can offer now due to my present location.Do not bother about the shipping to Angola I have a shipping agent who will come over to the USA to ship some of my items from my home in Texas so he would also come over to your house for pick up of the car.Please reply asap.

Regards,
Justin

P.Slease send some pictures

seems a little odd someone would buy a car that they couldnt see or drive but i have listed everything to the t on my car..i think hes just trying to scam me what do you guys think peace
Old 11-22-2006, 08:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Looks like a scam to me.
Old 11-22-2006, 08:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Usaully these guys want to give you a check for more than your asking price and then they want you to cash it and give them the overpayment back. After this the check bounces and your held liable. However in this case, it sounds like they want to hand you over a phony cashiers check and make out with your car. Tell them that the check can be mailed to you, and only after it clears with your bank will the keys be handed over. I bet you never hear from them again.
Old 11-22-2006, 08:12 PM
Teching In

Definately sounds like a scam to me, i would just ignore him. and if he wants to do it outside of mautofied, like private party using just email, then it is a gaurenteed scam.
Old 11-22-2006, 08:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

scammer. tell him you'll sell it to him, and hold the check when you get it, say it was fake, and you've got yourself a trophy check. I'd play him out for grins. . If they actually want a car shipped, have the shipper come to your house, and pick up the vintage 1979 pinto with a rusted through roof, full of concrete, outta your backyard. That's just what I'd do.
Old 11-22-2006, 08:33 PM
Launching!

It's a scam for sure. I seen this same scam on different forums and for different merchandise. Anything $100. or more is worth their time and effort because the check is worthless. The sad part is for every 100 or so they send out someone gullible falls for it. Plain and simple their thieves hiding behind a faceless fake or stolen name. Best is to avoid and delete them from your computer. Always deal with someone who is willing to talk to you in person, or over the phone with you calling them, and always ask for references on anything expensive. If they are not willing to do any of those, walk, no run away from the deal. And always accept payment that clears your account first before shipping out your merchandise.
Old 11-22-2006, 08:42 PM
12 Second Club

ya thats why i thaugh i mean i see abunch of these scams around just figured id let you guys be aware of this if you ever get one ..i emailed him back stating ya send me a cashiers check i ll make sure it clears the bank before the keys or anything if handing over lol so i doubt he will be mailing back lol o well i guess i get to keep the old ta for a lil longer till someone takes her off my hands
Old 11-22-2006, 09:01 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Just tell "Justin" that you'll be happy to sell the car. The only problem
is that your uncle is a Nigerian prince and he needs to be advanced
$1500. Immediately following, Justin will receive $1M wired to an off-shore
account of his choice for helping your uncle out of a legal matter.
Old 11-22-2006, 09:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Scam fo sure
Old 11-22-2006, 09:17 PM
11 Second Club

100% scam. A guy i work with had the same thing happen to him - someone lived overseas and wanted his Escalade, and was willing to do all the legwork of getting this car shipped over to him. My friend actually pursued the offer and got a cashier's check for like $36,000 from him.

He brought the check to work and it did look very official. It had a national bank's name on it (one of the big-name U.S. banks) However he took it to his bank to have it checked out and found out it was 100% genuine bullshit. Grade A scam material. He called the number back they had left him - disconnected. He tried emailing and all his messages were bounced back.

So in short - don't trust it.
Old 11-22-2006, 09:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Post 67 tempest

It is a scam and an old one that has been done many times. Stay away from it. Seriously.
Hank
Old 11-22-2006, 09:30 PM
Deranged Rat Fink

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tell this POS that you need the "cheque" overnighted if he wants it. It will cost a fortune to do that. Then , after you get it , tell him he is a MUGU ( total insult over there , it means gullible one) and tell him he will get no maga (money) from you. It also really makes them mad if you call them "little boy".
Old 11-22-2006, 09:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is without a doubt a scam. The cashiers check is probably bogus. Just tell him you changed your mind.
Old 11-22-2006, 10:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I recently put my car in the autotrader, i get all kinds of strange people calling from scammers promising to have a buyer for my car if i pay them a 75 doller fee to people trying to trade there junk for my car
Old 11-23-2006, 06:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Yep its a scam.

Think to do is ask for cash, if they are genuine it won't be a problem.

What often happens is the chequeis drawn on an account some where in Africa (not going to mention any specifics).

So it's a real cheque and real money. You bank it, it clears you release the car. However 2+months later the bank withdraw the funds from your account.

Why?

Well the check was drawn on someone elses account in a foriegn country and has taken this long to be noticed and reported. So the banks reverse the transaction.

Sad part is, you loose the money and the car.

The banks get away with it because in their terms and conditions they have a clause "the balance displayed for your account may be inccorect".
Old 11-23-2006, 08:22 AM
TECH Regular

Remember, if folks can get a cashier's check, they can get cash...that's how you pay for one.
Old 11-23-2006, 12:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by badjuju342
Tell this POS that you need the "cheque" overnighted if he wants it. It will cost a fortune to do that. Then , after you get it , tell him he is a MUGU ( total insult over there , it means gullible one) and tell him he will get no maga (money) from you. It also really makes them mad if you call them "little boy".
lol good one
Old 11-24-2006, 11:47 AM
TECH Regular

Angry

Yes, it'a scam!! unfortunately when you list your vehicle for sale about 90% of the responses you get from sites are from low life scum scammers.
Old 11-24-2006, 12:01 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dont trust it. Find a local buyer, or someone from 'tech with a good rep that will COME LOOK AT IT! I just dont belive in buying a car w/o seeing it and I doubt any other LSX fan would either. LSX owners USUALLY are more enthusiats than that.
Old 11-24-2006, 12:49 PM
12 Second Club

Received 435 Likes on 348 Posts

I bought mine without seeing it in person... but I made out well.

Search this Thread