Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Hash Marks/ GS stripes-what color?

Old 11-23-2006, 10:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hash Marks/ GS stripes-what color?

i have a red ls1 ta. Its a ws6 but the last guy sold the hood and swapped on a non ram air. My question is about the grand sport stripes that seem to be getting more and more popular. I really like them and i want to put a set on my car but i don't really know what color. I don't have any real theme going on but my car is red and has the hyper gray oem zo6 rims. So the stripes i was thinking either dark gray, charcoal gray. silver, or metallic gray. What do you guys think? I was think about tying it in as close to the rims color as possible and possibly start a theme. Also is there any special place on the wheel well to place them? any certain width? certain angle? certain length? and they just go from the wheel well the the fender/hood gap right? like when they hit the hood they stop? any help much appreciated guys!
Old 11-23-2006, 11:20 AM
TECH Resident

It's a WS6 but the last guy swapped the hood for a plain hood? Are you sure it's a real WS6 and hes not just saying that?

Anyway, if you're going to put GS stripes, I would either go black or a dark gray to match the wheels as close as possible like you said. Any other colors and you'll start to build a rainbow. IMO. Other guys with GS stripes will chime in with placement.
Old 11-23-2006, 11:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kraaazymike
It's a WS6 but the last guy swapped the hood for a plain hood? Are you sure it's a real WS6 and hes not just saying that?

Anyway, if you're going to put GS stripes, I would either go black or a dark gray to match the wheels as close as possible like you said. Any other colors and you'll start to build a rainbow. IMO. Other guys with GS stripes will chime in with placement.
yea thats what i was thinking hence the four grays i offered as options.

as far as the ta hood- i got my car from a car lot my dad used to own. We ran a carfax and according the the vin on carfax anyway my car is a formula firehawk. According to gm its a formula trans am ws6. The car lot new the guy the bird came from he saold it to them without the hood but with a supercharger set up that was never installed but in a box. They replaced the hood with a non ram air cause they didnt know the difference. They sold the supercharger (atI) for.. get this... $500 in the paper for compensation!! they only deal with rare old cars they didnt know what they were doing. So yea, but i wasnt mad cause i got my car for like 12 down from 25 cause my dad knew him and sold the business to him plus i planned on a mecham hood till i found out what crap they were. I own a graphics shop but i havnt been there in a while my cousin owns it. Its usually too busy to go to cause she wants me to help out and im lazy lol but think today ill run down there and hold some samples to my wheels. Its closed today of course so i think ill do that. its just that you cant sort something out in your head till you hear feedback sometimes. It just wasnt making any sense in my head till i heard you say it yo uknow? ever get like that?
Old 11-23-2006, 11:47 AM
TECH Resident

As far as placement goes, when you get the stripes, typically they're not long enough to go from the edge of the hood to the edge of the fender....there's like a 1/16th of an inch gap. I decided to make mine flush with the hood, and leave the itty bitty gap on the wheel-well. For angle, depends who you order the stripes from and how they're cut...I've seen GS stripes set nearly verical, but with mine, there's really only one angle you can put them on without having the vinyl flapping over the edge or leaving a hideous gap. So, what I did was just lined the top of the stripes on the edge of the fender...again, because of the compound angle of our fenders, there's really only 1 or 2 places the stripes can go and still be on the car

^best pic i have at the moment to demostrate the gap on the wheel well
Old 11-23-2006, 12:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

cool smoke panther thanks! as i said i above i own a graphics shop so ill be making them myself. I was wondering how wide to cut them could yo measure yours you think? im sorry to be a pain but it doesnt hurt to ask.By the way is that a formula or v-6?
Old 11-23-2006, 01:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

you can check mine out if u come to a meet sometime man.

id say go with a black or charcoal gray....
Old 11-23-2006, 01:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Location: king of prussia, pa (home) and williamsport, pa (school)

heres my gs stripes on my lt1 ws6

i get so many compliments on how unique they look!

Old 11-23-2006, 01:51 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 530transam
cool smoke panther thanks! as i said i above i own a graphics shop so ill be making them myself. I was wondering how wide to cut them could yo measure yours you think? im sorry to be a pain but it doesnt hurt to ask.By the way is that a formula or v-6?
Each stripe is 2" with a half inch gap between them. My car is just a V6, runs low-14s on street tires
Old 11-23-2006, 02:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1SicV8
you can check mine out if u come to a meet sometime man.

id say go with a black or charcoal gray....
id really like that remember i pmed you asbout the cf bezel? send me a pm about the next meet!

smoke panther- i love to see people with modded v-6's my first firebird was a v-6 and to this day i love love love it. I never got to mod it much before i bought my ls1 all i could think about was a v-8 and then i got one and realized i made a mistake. The v-6 was all i needed but it was paid off is why it was a mistake. Oh well i dont regret it i love both my cars very much!
Old 11-23-2006, 02:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Smoke Panther
Each stripe is 2" with a half inch gap between them. My car is just a V6, runs low-14s on street tires
btw thank you so much for the measurements. Im gonna head out and see if i have any charcoal at my shop ill post pics later!
Old 11-23-2006, 04:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

charcoal would look f-ing sweet, do a charcoal ceta mod also and it will be TIGHT!
Old 11-23-2006, 04:41 PM
TECH Regular

Smoke Panther, where did you purchase them?
Old 11-23-2006, 04:58 PM
TECH Resident

^from Ben Franker's site
Old 11-24-2006, 02:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by transambandit
charcoal would look f-ing sweet, do a charcoal ceta mod also and it will be TIGHT!
im unsure about the ceta mod. I like it but id rather have a carbon fiber peice to put on top of it like they make for my audi seen on estrictlyforeign.com. If i paint it i was thinking flat black but i dont know, maybee charcoal would look good! anyone have any examples?
Old 11-24-2006, 03:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

everyone with a red t/a does a black ceta, i personally think it would look better to keep the same color scheme going, i did a silver ceta to match my silver blackbird stripes
Attached Thumbnails Hash Marks/ GS stripes-what color?-dsc_0081.jpg  
Old 05-03-2010, 10:30 PM
Staging Lane

Here's a question for you I know you can only see one side in a photo but I have looked around and most of the cars i see with gs stripes only put them on the drivers side is this normal or are most on both sides?
Old 05-03-2010, 10:41 PM
12 Second Club

Holy old thread. on to your question, grand sport vettes only had them on the left side so most people only put them on the one side

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hash Marks/ GS stripes-what color?