Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rattling, but why?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2006, 08:32 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rattling, but why?

Hows it going guys, awhile back ago a chambered muffler and cutout was installed in my 2000 Camaro SS. At first I thought it was the electric cutout causing the rattle cause when closed I didn't hear the rattle anymore and when open the rattle would come out from the cutout. I installed longtubes with ory recently and now I'm hearing the rattle now even when the cutout is closed. WTF? The rattling happens around 2k and rattles on deceleration but does not rattle at idle. At first I thought it was from the ory hitting the floorboard or tunnel brace but I fixed both by placing a heater hose/ hose clamp on the ypipe and removing the tunnel brace. But still, the rattling is still there.

I've done my searching and can't find my answer. Do you guys think its from the chambered muffler? I've read about baffles but can that happen from a chambered muffler? Man I feel like a noob, sorry guys but I need your help.

NOTE: My exhaust starts from the headers, ory, chambered muffler and then electric cutout.
Old 11-25-2006, 12:20 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

probably the heat shield that is above where the catalytic convertors used to be.
Old 11-25-2006, 12:26 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Asmodeus
probably the heat shield that is above where the catalytic convertors used to be.
Hmmmm I may need to look there. But if its above the cats its more like near the engine correct? If it is the heat shield what can I do to stop the rattling? Also thanks for responding man, your the only one who cares heehee j/k everyone!
Old 11-25-2006, 12:32 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have that same noise on deceleration out of my cutout. I dont know what the hell it is!!
Old 11-25-2006, 12:38 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BayAreaSS
I have that same noise on deceleration out of my cutout. I dont know what the hell it is!!
Its so annoying hu? maybe we can help eachother? Keep me updated on information and I'll do the same man. We'll get it fixed, we must
Old 11-25-2006, 01:16 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by scof0elife
Its so annoying hu? maybe we can help eachother? Keep me updated on information and I'll do the same man. We'll get it fixed, we must
I've had my cutout for about 5 months and for the first month i tried to figure it out. Im out of ideas but i know some people that have the same problem.
Old 11-25-2006, 01:24 AM
TECH Veteran

I think there was a guy that put spacers in between the cutout and the lid of the cutout and it made it sound better.

If i remember correctly his name was MannyZ28. He posted pics of it also.
Old 11-25-2006, 01:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

I had a rattling sound that I found out was the O2's. I the O2's open and found that my O2's had a ceramic piece inside the metal case that had broken off. Then the exhaust tubing amplified the sound x10 making it a horrible rattle. I put in new O2's and the car is rattle free again. Try taking the O2's out and just shake them to see if they make noise. it could be the same problem I had or just a electronics cutout thing but just tossing that out as a possibility.
Old 11-25-2006, 01:54 AM
TECH Regular

Yeah I was thinking of checking the o2, hopefully tomorrow I can check under the car to see what the hell is rattling. So I'll be looking for the heat shields and o2's, since I'm down there is there anything else I should look for?
Old 11-25-2006, 02:19 AM
Launching!

i have the same rattle and it was the heat shield for the passenger side cat making the most nosie. I removed it and it helped but its still there, and ive tried putting rubber washers in between the heat shield and it didnt help at all
Old 11-25-2006, 02:25 AM
TECH Veteran

I tried playing around with the heat shields too but it didnt help me