Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 03:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Best Mufflers

I just installed true duals over the axles, and used Power Cat Catalytic converters and Chambered mufflers. To me they sound a little raspy and going to change the mufflers. Has any one used the new Flowmaster outlaw mufflers, dynomax racing bullets, Moroso spiral etc. I'm limited on space and just need some input. Any help would be greatly appreciated. jwcej@msn.com
Thanks have a great weekend and God Bless Our Troops and the U.S.,
John Junkins
Old 11-25-2006, 05:15 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It depends where you want to put them in your setup...

If before the axle under the car you need mufflers that are low profile or modify your floorboards some. Although not too quiet Flowmaster one chambers seem to work well in this location.

If you are putting them behind the axle before the tips you want a slightly smaller than average muffler to fit that location. If you can find them pibul mufflers fit there perfectly.

Bullets are an option, but keep in mind they are not going to quiet down a loud exhaust a whole hell of a lot, they are basically glorified straight pipes, and mainly help to cure a raspy sound.

If you are having it custom done you have the option of one single dual-in dual-out muffler in the stock location. That's the way I would go if I were you. Then you can run a full size muffler in your duals setup. It's the cleanest and most refined true dual combination imo and looks like this:

Old 11-25-2006, 05:26 PM
TECH Resident

lsx24, Thanks, I had my exhaust installed yesterday. And it's over the axle, but they installed the chambered mufflers in the straight part before they go over the axle. That why I was wondering which muffler would work the best from the list above.
Thanks Again,
John Junkins
Old 11-25-2006, 05:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by lsx24

If before the axle under the car you need mufflers that are low profile or modify your floorboards some. Although not too quiet Flowmaster one chambers seem to work well in this location.
i think thats the sweetest sounding setup out there.
Old 11-25-2006, 05:31 PM
TECH Resident

NiCks Ws6,
I don't have the room. With my car being lowered it makes it hard to fit mufflers. That's why I used Chambered mufflers they only have a 3" outter casing. But they are to raspy and loud for me.
John Junkins
Old 11-25-2006, 06:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lsx24

If you are putting them behind the axle before the tips you want a slightly smaller than average muffler to fit that location. If you can find them pibul mufflers fit there perfectly.

Bullets are an option, but keep in mind they are not going to quiet down a loud exhaust a whole hell of a lot, they are basically glorified straight pipes, and mainly help to cure a raspy sound.

If you are having it custom done you have the option of one single dual-in dual-out muffler in the stock location. That's the way I would go if I were you. Then you can run a full size muffler in your duals setup. It's the cleanest and most refined true dual combination imo and looks like this:

do you have a sound clip of that setup?? I like that!!
Old 11-25-2006, 07:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by seadoo
do you have a sound clip of that setup?? I like that!!
Yea on my web page there's sound clips of inside/outside and before/after clips.
Old 12-08-2006, 02:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

ttt im kinda wondering about this too.
Old 12-08-2006, 02:27 PM
TECH Resident

I know can't really get anyones responce. I installed true duals over the axle with chambered mufflers a little loud and raspy. And was wondering about the three mentioned above. Would like to hear from someone.
Thanks Again, have a great weekend and God Bless Our Troops and the U.S.,
John Junkins
Old 12-08-2006, 02:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I love my Spiral Flows. Not too bad around town, but they SCREAM at WOT.
Old 12-08-2006, 02:38 PM
TECH Resident

I love my Spiral Flows. Not too bad around town, but they SCREAM at WOT
How the noise inside the car, are they raspy sounding and do you have a sound clip or know where to find one. I was really thing about these because no packing in the mufflers and a great price.
Thanks, John Junkins
Old 12-08-2006, 02:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have used flowmaster 40 series, Magnaflow magnapacks, and flo-pro twisters. My favorite set up was the magnaflows. Not raspy and no drone like the flowmaster and twisters.
Old 12-08-2006, 02:50 PM
TECH Resident

I really don't have the room for them that why I used the Chambered mufflers. The 4" round casing is going to by tight in my setup.
Thanks John Junkins
Old 12-08-2006, 05:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It's really not bad inside the car. About the same as when I had my flowmaster catback. If it's not raining on sunday I'll get some soundclips. I was going to do it earlier this week but haven't had any time. They don't rasp and sound much deeper than my flowmaster did.
Old 12-08-2006, 05:16 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think I'd go in to a bullet-muffled dual exhaust with the mindset that it is going to be even remotely quiet. If you are telling yourself that, you are setting yourself up for disappointment. Bullet mufflers are designed to pass exhaust through them with minimal restriction, and hence little muffling. There are some that are quieter than others, but they all still fall in the loud category IMO.

If you are looking for something a little more tame, you're gonna have to figure out a way to tuck in some oval mufflers of some sort (like the Magnaflow 4x9 mufflers or something). Clearance is a big issue running exhausts on these cars, so you'll usually have to do some serious clearancing.
Old 12-08-2006, 05:26 PM
TECH Resident

transAm-98, That would be great.
MeentSS02, I want it to be loud but not raspy loud. You can't even talk in the car. But sometimes with my wife it could be a good thing.
Thanks Again,
John Junkins
Old 12-08-2006, 05:28 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by John Junkins
transAm-98, That would be great.
MeentSS02, I want it to be loud but not raspy loud. You can't even talk in the car. But sometimes with my wife it could be a good thing.
Thanks Again,
John Junkins
What kinda RPMs are we talking here? Mine is tame right up until about the 2000 RPM mark, then it gets pretty loud. Conversations are fine up til that point...after that, you can still talk, but you definitely have to step up the volume.
Old 12-08-2006, 05:35 PM
TECH Resident

What kinda RPMs are we talking here? Mine is tame right up until about the 2000 RPM mark, then it gets pretty loud. Conversations are fine up til that point...after that, you can still talk, but you definitely have to step up the volume.
I tried to pull up your sound clip, but no luck. At 2800 RPM range you almost have to yell and it sounds raspy as hell.
John Junkins
Old 12-08-2006, 08:39 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

What didn't work about my sound clip? Did you click on it? It should take you to my fquick.com garage where there are three separate videos...
Old 12-08-2006, 08:43 PM
TECH Resident

It keeps asking for a user name and password. I would really like to hear it. Nice car!!
John Junkins