Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Antique/Classic Insurance

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 07:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Antique/Classic Insurance

Hopefully this is the right place for this, if not, sorry in advance. I have a 65 GTO that is soon to be LSx'd. It has mostly seen time at the drag strip, with an occasional trip down the road to blow the spider webs out. I am looking to make it more street-able, so I am looking for good insurance coverage. What are some of the better, more popular choices? I know a lot of places require no modifications, and that the vehicle only be driven to parades, shows, etc. The lowest quote I've found so far was from classicins.com, but I don't know anything about the company. Any help would be great, Thanks.
Old 11-25-2006, 07:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Try Haggerty. I have them for my 69 Camaro, I pay about 195.00 a year for about 20,000 agreed upon value. Car can't be your daily driver,has to be locked in a a garage, unlimited miles. Racing is a no no. Never had a claim, buddy has twice, he sent them estimates and they paid. Good luck
Old 11-25-2006, 10:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Indyjc
Try Haggerty. I have them for my 69 Camaro, I pay about 195.00 a year for about 20,000 agreed upon value. Car can't be your daily driver,has to be locked in a a garage, unlimited miles. Racing is a no no. Never had a claim, buddy has twice, he sent them estimates and they paid. Good luck
I have Hagerty... same terms, although I pay $380 a year for my kit car :toetap:

I've only had to call them once for towing when I ran out of gas, and got excellent service...
Old 11-26-2006, 11:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Grundy is another excellent company with good rates. Best thing is these companies understand the cars and how we use them.

Pat
Old 11-26-2006, 08:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Grundy wouldn't touch my truck unless it was a 100-point original restoration.

Hagerty, on the other hand, was completely painless and had no problem about the modifications. I pay just under $800 per year, but I'm also still under 25.
Old 11-26-2006, 11:13 PM
Teching In

I have Hagerty as well. They have been good to work with, but their terms specifically state that you are not covered if you drag the car or road race it. However, you can drive the car to the event and have it covered while it is there, just not in the act of racing. The nice thing about Hagerty, is that you and them "agree" upon a covered value, they don't want an appraisal. You can also change that "agreed" value as you modify your car. You just need to give them a call, and they may ask for reciepts and pics, but it is pretty painless. I pay $500 per year for $35000 coverage.
Old 11-26-2006, 11:51 PM
Conversion master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IOwnCalculus
Grundy wouldn't touch my truck unless it was a 100-point original restoration.

Hagerty, on the other hand, was completely painless and had no problem about the modifications. I pay just under $800 per year, but I'm also still under 25.
Thats interesting. I have Grundy and my 1970 Corvette is far from stock. I pay about $350 a year for $25K coverage.

No mileage limits, but no racing and no driving to work.
Old 11-27-2006, 01:39 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also have Grundy on my 59 Corvette. I tried Haggerty and their price for a modified car was over double the cost of an original! Grundy got a small premium for a modified car. My car is a tube framed, LS1 powered Corvette with late-model Corvette suspension. Same restrictions, cant be a daily driver, must be kept in a locked garage at night, unlimited pleasure driving.
I pay about $700 a year for $80,000 in coverage.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 11-27-2006, 02:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 70 LS1
Thats interesting. I have Grundy and my 1970 Corvette is far from stock. I pay about $350 a year for $25K coverage.

No mileage limits, but no racing and no driving to work.
Yeah, don't ask me why. I'm guessing more of it has to do with the fact that I'm under 25, but they basically slammed the door in my face on that one. First thing they freaked about was one of the pictures was slightly old and still showed my old trailer hitch (which was just dead weight, I've never even towed since the swap) on the truck. Oh well, Hagerty is still less than half of what I was paying for daily-driver insurance through Progressive. Enough of a difference that my '88 Volvo 240 beater, which I bought just to get the Hagerty insurance, has already paid for itself and its repairs
Old 11-27-2006, 03:31 PM
Teching In

I have Statefarm for all my home and auto needs and when I asked them about my 68 they said bring it by. Well they looked at it and looked in a book and got a value of $28000.00 and it is $110 a year. Now you do have restrictions on it but it is about the same as your dmv's restrictions on an antique tag but no mileage restriction. I have drove mine to Biloxi, Charolette, NC and closer to home Nashville, TN. I have had ine claim when I droper a driveshaft. It took out the tranny exhaust driveshaft and ponched 3 holes in the floor. $4700 in damage I have a $1000 deductible and got a check in 4 days, Thay said my prem. would go up 10% Whow $11 I can live with that. SO try your local statefarm agent. Woody
Old 11-27-2006, 11:40 PM
Teching In

I have State Farm too, but they wouldn't touch it because it didn't have the original engine (400 c.i. instead of 389 c.i.). Just doing an online estimate Hagerty wants around $700 a year because it would be considered a "Modified" car, and since I am anticipating the LSx swap, it won't get any better. Classicins.com seems to be the best price, around $300 annual, $35000 agreed upon value, "Modified", etc. I just haven't heard much about them, and don't want to get stuck with a deadbeat agency in case something happens to the car. I did a google search and didn't find anything negative on the first few pages. Anyone ever deal with them, or have a buddy that has them?
Old 11-28-2006, 01:16 AM
TECH Resident

Man this is kind of a bummer anybody have any cheaper solutions for a daily driver?
Old 11-29-2006, 03:03 PM
9 Second Club

Do not even hint that you will be taking the car to the drag strip. I tried to insure my Firebird through Grundy. Once they found out I might take it to the strip a few times they told me they would not insure it.
Old 11-29-2006, 03:45 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I'd suspect that any insurance company would drop you if they knew you raced the car.... it's too bad really, there should be some kind of insurance waiver that you can sign that states if anything happens while at a drag strip.race event that you willfully decline all coverage.
Old 11-29-2006, 03:49 PM
10 Second Club

no, insurance should cover what you do at the strip also. thats the point of insurance

i have state farm, on my 00 B4C pay around 6-700 a year for full coverage. you can have agreed upon value. should be around the same cost for full coverage. we have a 76 monte carlo insured for like 10-15,000. you put it in a "pleasure vehicle" class. means you dont drive it all the time, dosent have to be locked up and there are no other stipulations. i plan on doing agreed upon value through state farm on my 240Z when im done with it.
Old 11-29-2006, 03:58 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
I'd suspect that any insurance company would drop you if they knew you raced the car.... it's too bad really, there should be some kind of insurance waiver that you can sign that states if anything happens while at a drag strip.race event that you willfully decline all coverage.
In my policy for my Z06 it basically states that if there is any damage done to the vehicle or other property do to competitive (racing) driving they will not pay. I don't understand why Grundy and others won't put that in thier policies.
Old 11-29-2006, 04:06 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm pretty sure that's how mine reads as well.... of course I'm nowhere near a big enough asshat to try to claim a wreck at a dragstrip on my insurance.. I know there's people that have.. but I will never be one of them. It's a risk you take, anyone not willing to take it, or can't afford to lose their car to an accident like that.. shouldn't eb taking it there in the first place. Not that I want to lose my car to drag strip disaster.. but if were to happen I don't care, as long as I walk away o.k. Cars are replacable, people aren't.
Old 11-29-2006, 04:10 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
I'm pretty sure that's how mine reads as well.... of course I'm nowhere near a big enough asshat to try to claim a wreck at a dragstrip on my insurance.. I know there's people that have.. but I will never be one of them. It's a risk you take, anyone not willing to take it, or can't afford to lose their car to an accident like that.. shouldn't eb taking it there in the first place. Not that I want to lose my car to drag strip disaster.. but if were to happen I don't care, as long as I walk away o.k. Cars are replacable, people aren't.
I totally agree.
Old 11-29-2006, 08:50 PM
10 Second Club

guess im that big of an asshat then haha. if the insurance company is getting literaly thousands of my dollars they are going to pay out whenever my car gets damaged, thats the agreement we made.. i pay you money, and if my car gets damaged you give me money.

off note... ive seen many irreplaceable cars and many more replaceable human beings. in fact, if they were replaced by monkeys the world would be better off actualy

Quick Reply: Antique/Classic Insurance