Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EGR Smog issues on 1998 Trans Am?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 07:13 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question EGR Smog issues on 1998 Trans Am?

Friend of mine has to smog his 1998 Trans Am and doesnt know much of the history of the car. From what he knows is it had a built motor in it before but before the guy sold it he put it almost back to stock. Only mods he knows of is mac headers w/catted y pipe, lid, and borla catback. My friend took the car to a smog shop and the tech said the car doesnt have the EGR. I have never delt with this EGR stuff so whats the easiest way to get this car smogged? My friend said it is a LS1 manifold but doesnt have the EGR? I thought only the 2001-02 LS1's came without the EGR?

Old 11-25-2006, 07:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

It's either an ls6 manifold, or one of the vette ls1 manifolds. Either way, if he has to replace the egr, he'd either have to get a new manifold or drill out the top part of the manifold he has. I think slp makes a kit to convert to the ls6 with egr that they also sell. You'd also have to figure out what solenoids and other such oddball egr gadgetry was removed, and probably spend a lot on all of the special order crap to replace it.
Old 11-27-2006, 01:25 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks for the info

I am sure its a LS1 out of a C5. Anyone have a list of the EGR parts? I remember someone showing a diagram of the AIR system, maybe someone might have something simular of the EGR set up?
Old 11-27-2006, 01:48 AM
TECH Addict

one question....

on top of the intake manifold (front part), there's a circle... is it all plastic? or is there like a brass washer with a nut on top of it?

the egr module is bolted on the passengers side head and has a port into the passenger exhaust manifold and then a tube that goes into the top of the intake manifold

post #4 shows you what it its (first pic) and post #5 shows it with and without https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/480964-air-egr-removal.html
Old 11-27-2006, 06:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SStroked 410
Thanks for the info

I am sure its a LS1 out of a C5. Anyone have a list of the EGR parts? I remember someone showing a diagram of the AIR system, maybe someone might have something simular of the EGR set up?
how are you sure its an LS1 out of a corvette? if it had a built motor.. know one I know would put a stock LS1 corvette intake on.. chances are its an LS6. pull the stamped ID# that is cast into the side of the intake by the fuel rail. we can tell you if its an LS6 or not.

for the EGR stuff.. call up a junk yard.. or check the for sale add's on here. Ebay will also have stuff cheap. I just hope the guy didnt hack the wiring harness up to remove it.