General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Stalling Vette... Please help.

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 09:48 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Stalling Vette... Please help.

I just installed a new 408, a new tranny, new DTE Rear-End, new stall, new suspension and a new fuel system. Car ran great for about 5 miles, now it stalls. I'm running open headers, the rear O2's are turned off. Could me being opened headers be the reason my car stalls after about 20 sec. of idleing, of as soon as you go to put it into gear..?
Old 11-26-2006, 01:34 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well with a 408 it is tuned correct?...i am asusming so. if you have tuning software it is quite simple to montior certain PIDS. Get it running then datalog and watch the selected PIDs so you can gather good insight as to what is making it stall. I'd say watch things like cam sensor, crank sensor, MAF, MAP, injectors, 02's, TPS. which throttle body is on there? IAC readings look normal?
Old 11-26-2006, 02:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

I would clean the MAF and re install it. I am not saying that is the only problem, but it is a 10 minute job, and it will give you a piece of mind. (if nothing else)
Old 12-07-2006, 07:39 PM
11 Second Club

I'll do that as well. Thanks fo the reply..
Old 12-07-2006, 09:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

im going to go with a bad tune....your open headers are going to make your car run like garbage....but it wont totally stall a call....shouldnt....however...if your car isnt tuned properly, with those open headers...it could stall
Old 12-07-2006, 09:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^^^ true dat. You need to run some sort of exhaust out the back or dumps to get some backpressure. Cause without FI, a lack of backpressure will hurt performance, right?
Old 12-08-2006, 08:38 PM
11 Second Club

I hear what your saying guys, and your right. But The car ran like a champ the first time we cranked it up. It idled for more then 30 min. I even drove it a little. Until I started noticing a miss and a popomg sound. I went home to change the TR8 plugs that were put in there, w installed TR6 plugs. Cranked the car up, and it still popped a little. Them we started noticing the stalling, and then when we tried to put it into gear, it started stalling..... But the car did run fine with open headers at first. What do you think about that??? Please help...
Old 12-30-2006, 03:36 PM
11 Second Club

I pulled off the driver's side valve cover. Yes, well, I found our little problem... #7 cylinder rocker pedistol is broken. I can't believe it. I'll call Texas Speed on Wednesday. I'm sure Jason, and Jon will take care of me.. I'll let you guys know how it goes. The motor, heads rear-end and tranny only have 5 miles on it.
Old 01-01-2007, 02:26 PM
11 Second Club

Here are a couple of pics for you guys.

Old 01-02-2007, 08:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ouch!
Old 01-03-2007, 02:16 PM
11 Second Club

Good news, no, better then that, GREAT NEWS. I spoke with Jon fro Texas Speed. It seems there was an issue with a few sets of heade. "Casting #'s" There was a casting flaw. Fortunatly I am one of the last ones to have these heads. Since the issue came up, Texas Speed has replaced all of these heads with a newer biger and better head. This goes to show just how Texas Speed handles these kinds of issues.
As for the poss. damage in #7 cylinder, I am pulling the heads off right now. I'll keep you guys posted. My fingers, toes and hair are crossed hoping there is no or VERY LITTLE damage.... I have soo much invested in this project. I don't want to have to dish out another 5 or 10K to fix this issue. Texas Speed is helping with the heads, but I still have $300.00 head gaskets, plus my labor, and then I have to have these new heads drilled for 1/2" studs.....