Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed the Patriot Golds today. Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 09:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Installed the Patriot Golds today. Question

I didn't trust the 918s since i had the bad batch the first time. This second set was fine when i took them off todat though. Anyway i installed the Golds today and I was wondering , do the dual springs seem to make a little more noise than the single spring? I may be just all in my head. I have been running the stock pushrods so do i need to get the 7.4s since they are a tad bit longer than the stockers? Also what kind of a break in is required for the Patriot duals? I drove around town for 15 min and then went home. I never hit above 2k
Old 11-25-2006, 10:53 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What I have usually done is to give at least 3 full heat cycles on springs before going over about 2500 rpms. I haven't really noticed our PP Duals being any louder than the old single ones we used to have.
Old 11-25-2006, 10:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BriGuy
What I have usually done is to give at least 3 full heat cycles on springs before going over about 2500 rpms. I haven't really noticed our PP Duals being any louder than the old single ones we used to have.
it may be all in my head. I guess i have one heat cycle down and two more to go.
Old 11-25-2006, 11:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah heat cycle a few times,My ppduals seemed less noisy compared to my 918's actually..And i would even go over 3k rpms until you get hardened pushrods.Those spring pressures are probably the limit for stock pushrods..thats just asking for trouble.
Old 11-25-2006, 11:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by redtail2426
yeah heat cycle a few times,My ppduals seemed less noisy compared to my 918's actually..And i would even go over 3k rpms until you get hardened pushrods.Those spring pressures are probably the limit for stock pushrods..thats just asking for trouble.
should i get the 7.4s?
Old 11-25-2006, 11:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

wow did not know heat cycles were used with these engines.
Old 11-26-2006, 09:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

If your heads are bone stock unmilled and you have stock head gaskets (if your heads have never been off) then get the comp 7.425" pushrods..

If you have milled heads say .020" mill and a .045 cometic head gasket like i have then run 7.4" pushrods..thats what i have and it runs nice and quite.

This will kepp your preload very close to stock specs.
Old 11-26-2006, 09:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Talking with a few spring experts before, they've stated that the new chrome silicon spring material does not require any heat cycling. Install, get hot, hit the loud pedal.
Traditional spring material requires a heat cycle or two.
Old 11-26-2006, 12:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ryan02SS
Talking with a few spring experts before, they've stated that the new chrome silicon spring material does not require any heat cycling. Install, get hot, hit the loud pedal.
Traditional spring material requires a heat cycle or two.
really? I think I will let them cycle a few times anyway just ti be safe
Old 11-26-2006, 01:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah heat cycle just for the hell of it,its not like its a pain in the *** or anything,just dont romp on it for the first few drives.
Old 11-26-2006, 06:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree that everything ive read on the Cr Si spring material says it does not need heat cycles, only that it needs to be warmed up every time before you take it to redline. If you dropped your car off at a sponsor for the install and a dyno tune, theyre not going to keep the car there the extra day or two heat cycling the springs. Theyll just throw it on the dyno and tune it up as soon as its put back togather.

That being said, i gradually srive the car harder and harder over the course of 5 or 6 drives, starting with a sedate drive once around the block.

Duals do tend to be a little noisier than singles. Afterall the springs have a slight interference fit which is designed to help dampen any harmonics. Its known as the "sewing machine noise"
Old 11-26-2006, 08:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
I agree that everything ive read on the Cr Si spring material says it does not need heat cycles, only that it needs to be warmed up every time before you take it to redline. If you dropped your car off at a sponsor for the install and a dyno tune, theyre not going to keep the car there the extra day or two heat cycling the springs. Theyll just throw it on the dyno and tune it up as soon as its put back togather.

That being said, i gradually srive the car harder and harder over the course of 5 or 6 drives, starting with a sedate drive once around the block.

Duals do tend to be a little noisier than singles. Afterall the springs have a slight interference fit which is designed to help dampen any harmonics. Its known as the "sewing machine noise"
So i'm good to ripp on it