Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need help on decision

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 12:56 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default need help on decision

i am about to get my christmas bouns of 1k and was woundering which i could expect the most power gains on a stock ls1. a cam package, or ls6 intake and ported tb or a new tb?

i would appericate any helpful info u could give me
Old 11-26-2006, 02:35 AM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Cam package will give you the most power gains with your mods. It is recommended that at some point you do get a LS6 intake, as the LS1 intake will be a bottleneck with a cam and longtubes. A TSP package is $600 if you get one that don't need double springs. Add a oil pump for ~$100 and a tune, and you've reached your $1K and then some. It's not really putting the cart in front of the horse IMO, but me personally I would like to have a LS6 intake/Ported TB on at the time of my cam tune to get the most out of it and only have to do it once.

Honestly, I would do the LS6 intake and TB, then use the left over cash for the typical bolt ons. Subframe connectors, lower control arms and maybe a shifter if you're an M6. Or throw that $1000 into a new rearend fund and keep saving.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

if your car is an auto, i wouldnt overlook a converter either-doesnt give you any more power but will feel like a whole different car
Old 11-28-2006, 01:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

nitrous is the best bank for the buck. ls6intake and a cam kit, but that will run you over 1k plus install if your not doing it yourself.
Old 12-11-2006, 01:34 PM
Banned

Typically you want to get all the boltons before you get heads or a cam. Personally I'm of the belief you need to let the ls1 breathe better as your first round of mods. That includes a FULL exhaust system: headers with a ypipe and catback, or headers and true duals (preferred). Then look into intake mods (besides a lid) like ls6 intake and ported tb. Once you get all the boltons you will be able to extract the most out of your mod list.