Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

wiring fuel pump relay

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 01:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wiring fuel pump relay

I have recently installed an '02 chevy 4.3l in a '66 scout. I purchased a Walpro inline fuel pump and I am having trouble getting the external fuel pump relay to work properly. I am hoping for help in someone to tell me how to wire it up correctly. I was also told that I needed a recirculate valve or the fuel pump would not work. Is this true? Thanks for your support.
Old 11-27-2006, 01:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As far as 'recirculate valve', whoever said it probably meant that the fuel system needs to recirculate fuel. So you need a bypass style pressure regulator, with the bypass hose plumbed to the tank. Basically you need a feed, and a return.
The pump would turn on without a fuel system setup this way, but wont stay on for long

Im assuming by your statements that your keeping this motor EFI'd.
In that case, your pcm should have an output capable of running a single walbro pump without a relay.
To play it safe, you should use a relay and have the pcm output trigger the relay.
The relay will then switch your fuel pump circuit on or off when the pcm commands it to.
If you need diagrams, use the search Im sure you'll find some somewhere. Unless someone feels kind enough to post one of course