LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

sick of it / LTCC or Delteq peopel inside

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 07:35 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default sick of it / LTCC or Delteq peopel inside

well im as title states im sick of having my screws in my MSD cap and rotor work themselves loose, this will be the 3rd time this year in will have to work on it counting the install during the motor rebuild, i used threadlock last time and they have worked themselves loose again, it runs fine up to 5000rpm but once there its like it only fires one maybe 2 cylinders on every rotation of the rotor because the rotor is has loosened to a point where it wont hit the contacts to all cylinders on the cap.

I am just going to get rid of the rotor all together, im going with a delteq because its sells a complete kit compared to the LTCC's kit which you still have to get a few thing.

Question on this though, i plan on doing a decent sized cam in the future and prolly some minor head work later on with some forged internals for some spray or boost later on down the road, i heard of a few issues when these systems first came out, are they still there or have they been addressed and i can run my cam and boost or spray later without any problems with this ignition setup

Last edited by NotAv6; 11-26-2006 at 09:58 PM.
Old 11-26-2006, 08:22 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have Heads & cam 240/246 on a 112lsa 630 lift and spray and no issues, ltcc here. It's really sweet IMO. I could not see buying another opti again myself.
Old 11-26-2006, 08:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a delteq and it solved my opti issues. As far as your application, I'm not sure. I'm about to see how it runs with a mild H&C setup soon. It was VERY easy to install.
Old 11-26-2006, 08:40 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Niether

No matter what you do you have to keep the opti.

The real question is WHY are your screws backing out? Are you sure all your Opti Clearances are good? My Opti spends alot of its time above 6k and they the screws are fine.

I have found on 75% or better of the Opti's I check the clearances on are incorrect. The camshaft ridding the bearing at any of the contact points is a sure fire way to have issues. Some times you have to look REAL close to find them.

After burning a hole in a MSD Rotor and exposing a Manufacturing Flaw I tried the Delteq. And not just a little every bell and whistle you could get with MSD coils and DIS-4. After replacing every part of it twice I had to go back to an Opti.

Another member had the same kind of issues with the LTCC.

BOTH are very fast cars and Both are now running Opti's with no problems again. Mine is only running 1.4x 60fts spinning to 7,200 on every shift on every pass.

Yes the Opti is a PITA to maintain. YES it is in a crappy spot. BUT you gotta have it if you use the stock computer.

Need to find the problem before you can move on
Old 11-26-2006, 09:51 PM
12 Second Club

there is no problem with the actual opti(i dont mind keeping the opti part of it at all) its the rotor thats the problem when i installed it the first time time i had the motor on a stand and checked everything more than once i know the opti was installed correctly it was one of the first cap and rotors to go out i believe so that may be part of the problem got one before all the bugs got worked out or it might just be cause im running it on a stock GM opti), i dont really know why the rotor screws keep backing out, i dont doubt my work at least not yet anyway i know i have it installed correctly and everything fit correctly

What kind of issues did you run into with the delteq twofast

I think at this time im looking towards the delteq along with a dynaspark Gen III made specifically for the LTCC/delteq users

Last edited by NotAv6; 11-26-2006 at 10:15 PM.
Old 11-26-2006, 10:45 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv

. BUT you gotta have it if you use the stock computer.
this may not be entirely true; as bluecat (the tuning wizz in my area) and I have been discussing this.

I'm working on shortening a stock TBI truck distributor to fit under the cowl of an f-body, complete with ignition module and all the factory plug-ins (more on that later). after our discussion on how the stock computer reads the low-res circuit of the opti to initiate the basics of sequential injection (then reads the high-res circuit to define in more clearly I suppose) the low-res circuit uses 8 pulses per revolution--- essentially the same as a magnetic pickup in a distributor, or hell, even a points setup.

basically what he is saying is this: if he feeds the computer the signal from the magnetic pickup (like a low-res opti signal) into the stock computer, without the high-res following it, the computer will go in to "batch-fire" mode, and fire each bank of injectors (1-3-5-7 then 2-4-6-8) just like a TPI car, or any aftermarket EFI system.

he says he can make a stub-harness with ALL GM PLUGS that will plug in where the stock opti stub-harness goes, and run up to the convential distributor. no cutting of wires, all oem connections 100% returnable to stock with 1 plug-in.

I'm going to try this when my single plane is bolted down, first by running the opti in stock form, but with the plug wires on the conventional distributor, and then try the plug-in he made to run the magnetic pickup. I'll probably run the opti for the sequential part (and the fact that I think THAT alone, will fix the opti's inherent problem with going bad) then, if it does go bad, I can pop the hood, swap stub-harness and run the distributor, and then have my car running in batch fire and go on to the house.

man, that was a long post! talking to phillip (bluecat) in person or on the phone would make MUCH more sense than what I just typed, but he's got a great idea and should work (hell, he cobbled his own EFI on a 2-stroke polaris fourwheeler!)
Old 11-26-2006, 11:18 PM
12 Second Club

I say do the Delteq with all the goodies. I did mine and it has never run better. Some people have mixed results with LTCC and DELTEQ, but mine has always worked from the beginning with no problems.

Here is one of my threads:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ghlight=Delteq
Old 11-26-2006, 11:45 PM
12 Second Club

silver you have a pm

your car's engine bay is absolutely amazing, i hope mine looks that nice some day

Last edited by NotAv6; 11-26-2006 at 11:53 PM.
Old 11-27-2006, 02:25 AM
12 Second Club

Thanks for the compliments. Make sure you post up your progress

I see your in Longview, I'm in Dallas
Old 11-27-2006, 02:33 AM
Banned

i had problems with optis for a long time, i spun it to 6800 maybe twice before it would go bad....every1 would have the rotor screws back loose like your describing, i tried locktite, and even melting the plastic....after trying many differant ones, i gave one last shot on a brand new on from gm, since then ive had no problems...over 40 passes on it without a hiccup...id try that before i went ltcc or delteq
Old 11-27-2006, 05:36 AM
SRZ
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I've had mine Delteq over 3 yrs now w/ out a single problem on big camm'd 396. I know 2 people running it w/ blown applications as well w/ out a problem and one going the DIS-4 route for optimal timing adjustments. I'm about to fire mine up for the 1st time being blown running a FAST XFI later this wk and it works w/ the FAST as it's been confirmed be several users.

I just wish I had another place to mount the coils but for now the VC will do.

Old 11-27-2006, 05:24 PM
Staging Lane

I am pleased with the performance of my Deltec. Gotta love a multi coil setup.
Old 11-27-2006, 06:43 PM
TECH Regular

Ive had it for over a year now and its worked great. BUT i wish i would have read more about lack of timming control with these units. I was looking into buying a dis-4 and the coil things.. its looking like 600 $ to take out a couple degrees of timming on the juice. Yes i have lt1 edit and can take some timing out for it in advance at the track but what about out on the street and on the fly nitrous use? Any one intrested in buying a used Delteq?
Old 11-27-2006, 08:27 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 87Lt1Monte
Any one intrested in buying a used Delteq?
lol how much
Old 11-27-2006, 08:38 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Mighty Whitey
this may not be entirely true; as bluecat (the tuning wizz in my area) and I have been discussing this.

I'm working on shortening a stock TBI truck distributor to fit under the cowl of an f-body, complete with ignition module and all the factory plug-ins (more on that later). after our discussion on how the stock computer reads the low-res circuit of the opti to initiate the basics of sequential injection (then reads the high-res circuit to define in more clearly I suppose) the low-res circuit uses 8 pulses per revolution--- essentially the same as a magnetic ...!)

I like your friends idea.... now if you can figure a way to install the distributor without taking the engine out of the car.....that shaft drive will be a problem!!
Old 11-27-2006, 10:03 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Mighty Whitey. I would love to see an option that the engine did not have to come out for. I can tell you that method has been tried and did not work in the past. Would be great to see it work

BTW I had the first MSD cap and Rotor failure I have installed a bunch of the cap and rotor kits and a few of the MSD Opti's since the updates parts got to me and none are having this problem. There HAS to been some thing vibrating the screws out. I had four years on my last Opti and spun it as high as any one around and never had a problem. I am shifting at 7,200 every shift now and so far so good.

The problem with my Delteq was it kept loosing sync and would shut off. We changed the Opti many times and every part in the system twice just to be sure. Tossed the old opti with a new MSD cap and rotor on it and away we went!

One of the other guys had a simular issue with a LTCC and he went back to a Opti and he is running strong also. I will let him chime in if he wants

BTW I have the lowest Distributor mad here and there is not way to get it out un-less you drop the engine or pull the intake
Old 11-27-2006, 10:17 PM
8 Second 6 Speed Director

Location: windsor, ont. canada - Home of the fastest LT1 6spd.

i won't even get into my luck with the Dynaspark!
Old 11-27-2006, 10:32 PM
12 Second Club

yeah i just cant figure out what is making them back out, i tried a bunch of things and i know its installed correctly, the only vibration that i know of with my car is the normal vibration you get from a running motor and from going down the road, if thats causing my problem then i dont know what i could do about it anyway, im just tired of every 4 months or so having to take off all the crap to get to the cap and rotor to tighten up 2 damn screws only to have them loosen up again later on down the road
Old 11-27-2006, 11:06 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
Mighty Whitey. I would love to see an option that the engine did not have to come out for. I can tell you that method has been tried and did not work in the past. Would be great to see it work

BTW I have the lowest Distributor mad here and there is not way to get it out un-less you drop the engine or pull the intake

well, that's just it, this setup WILL have to be installed at the same time as the intake manifold, even the crab-cap crank trigger MSD distributor will not work (I assume that is what you are running?) I mocked up the distributor in my car in july, and it would fit once it was sat down in the hole, but not while trying to install it at an angle (like it is needed to). if it were an inch shorter, this would work great.

I look at it like this, the distributor was given to me free of charge, and if it DOESN'T work in this application I can still use it in some other manner (the distributor will work just like stock, only shorter) so I'll not be losing anything here...
my, and bluecat's main goal here is to test the waters of the '94+ LT1 computer and see if it will run in batch fire mode with a magnetic pickup signal as opposed to the optispark low-res signal. he's already done this on a '93 c-1500 w/ a '93 LT1 swap from which the owner "thought" the opti was bad- he used an MSD pro-billet distributor (apples to apples, they do the same job) for this, and everything worked out like it should, but come to find out that the computer was actually junked out rather than the opti (previous to bluecat's tinkering with it)

even if the '94+ computers WILL run in batch fire mode off of the magnetic pickup, I'm still going to run the opti for the benefits (if any) of sequential injection, but still have the extra stub harness ready incase the opti takes a crap on my somewhere, that way I KNOW I'll have a way home, and well, I'd probably never change it back, just plug the hole in the front cover and go on with life..

eventually my friends... eventually....
Old 11-27-2006, 11:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SRZ
I've had mine Delteq over 3 yrs now w/ out a single problem on big camm'd 396. I know 2 people running it w/ blown applications as well w/ out a problem and one going the DIS-4 route for optimal timing adjustments. I'm about to fire mine up for the 1st time being blown running a FAST XFI later this wk and it works w/ the FAST as it's been confirmed be several users.

I just wish I had another place to mount the coils but for now the VC will do.

Same here. Love my delteq. I have it on my daily driver. So far it's lasted great. I even used the radiator mount for a while, and even in the brutal Chicago winter it gave me 0 problems. I just went the valve cover mount because it worked best with my long tubes. I say replace the opti, put the delteq in, and you'll live a happy lt1 life.

I think it's going on two years with the delteq. And I love it! By far one of the best investments I have made.

Mike

Quick Reply: sick of it / LTCC or Delteq peopel inside