Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

11psi tahoe

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 12:19 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 11psi tahoe

if i put 11psi on my truck with a hot cam, heads, fast 90/90, lt headders, ory, and gibson extreme, what all do i need to do to the rest of the drive train?
Old 11-27-2006, 02:39 AM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bouncnbars
if i put 11psi on my truck with a hot cam, heads, fast 90/90, lt headders, ory, and gibson extreme, what all do i need to do to the rest of the drive train?
Purchase a built trans, stall, driveshaft and rear end.....on an fbody at least. I'm sure it is a similar list for you taho but I'm not sure if yours is 4x4 and whatnot.
Old 11-27-2006, 04:02 PM
Teching In

it's 2wd, but it's my patrol truck and i can't have a stall converter on it. i have to be able to idle and use very low rpm. it's unmarked so it can be louder than normal, that's the point of having all this done.
Old 11-27-2006, 04:18 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm Plz Post Pics Of This Project Tahoe Of Yours
Old 11-27-2006, 04:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds awesome man. U certainly dont need a big stall. A 2800 ish woudl do fine. U definatly need to get a converter. Even if u dont raise teh stall. Ull power right through the one u have.
As far as ur mods. If u have no intention of gettin a forged engine then u dont need alot of the stuff u mention. U got a 6.0 i would assume and that has the heads that u want with teh low compression. The intake isnt that bad since u will be limited to about 500rwhp if u dont wanna have to worry about the engine all that much.

The exhaust is a good idea. But be careful u can get stupid loud real fast.

I think that ur rear wont have any issues but ull definatly need to get teh tranny worked on some. GL man and definatly get us some pics.
Old 11-27-2006, 04:42 PM
TECH Resident

it's 2wd, but it's my patrol truck and i can't have a stall converter on it. i have to be able to idle and use very low rpm. it's unmarked so it can be louder than normal, that's the point of having all this done.
A stall allows a cammed car to idle better and smooth it out in lower rpms, you know, no stalling or lurching etc.....maybe you were misinformed?
Old 11-27-2006, 06:02 PM
Teching In

i understand that a new converter is a must, i just can't raise my stall. we idle through neighborhoods and and business parking lots. with a stall converter, it will definately draw way too much attention. it's not a 6.0, it's a 5.3. i been on here asking questions before i start anything other than the exhaust. with everyone on here that knows more than i do, i believe that is the best way to go. lgmotorsports is doing the cam heads and intake. the intake won't be done till i get the turbo or supercharger. this truck has to be set up as a road race/ oval track car. i need the best top speed with tons of low end torque. any ideas ya'll have would be great.
Old 11-27-2006, 06:40 PM
Banned

Willem @ Fuel Injection Concepts's Avatar

you use this for traffic stops?

what a trap, i'd be so ******* pissed to find out a loud truck with a cam was a cop
Old 11-27-2006, 06:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You must be an old school kind of guy . Today's stalls are much different then in the olden days. Yank makes some 2600 and 3000 stall's that drive pretty much just like stock until you mash on it and then they come alive. You should check www.performancetrucks.net If you haven't already. There is tons you guys who will be glad to help you build your truck

Personally, I'm a turbo guy, but the Magnesen Radix supercharger would would great in your application too. They do tend to get bottle necked around 500hp though. Any question, fell free to ask and come on over to the truck side and will take care of ya
Old 11-27-2006, 07:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't think a hotcam is the best for doing FI. May want to think about that one... It would make people think twice about you being a cop though

Tons of low end torque but "the best" top speed. Hmmm.. Well.. That one conflicts. You can awesome topspeed and only have good midrange torque with the turbo.. Or you can have crazy torque with a decent top speed with the blower (not saying the superchargers aren't good up top though).

Basically you're telling us this is for pursuit/quick response, right? Highway, or windy roads?

BTW, need pics.
Old 11-27-2006, 10:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TT Coupe
you use this for traffic stops?

what a trap, i'd be so ******* pissed to find out a loud truck with a cam was a cop

sure do use this to make traffic stops. we mainly use it with community calls(domestic violence, fight in progress, thigs like that). all the good stuff comes from traffic stops though. i caught a guy that stabbed someone in ft worth for speeding, ft worth pd hadn't made it to the call before i stopped them, i called their dispatch and told them to "step it up" i have the guy you want.

it's not that bad getting stopped by me or my boss(unmarked camaro), we don't write that many tickets.
Old 11-27-2006, 10:05 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mahhddgtp
I don't think a hotcam is the best for doing FI. May want to think about that one... It would make people think twice about you being a cop though

Tons of low end torque but "the best" top speed. Hmmm.. Well.. That one conflicts. You can awesome topspeed and only have good midrange torque with the turbo.. Or you can have crazy torque with a decent top speed with the blower (not saying the superchargers aren't good up top though).

Basically you're telling us this is for pursuit/quick response, right? Highway, or windy roads?

BTW, need pics.

i'll get pics as soon as i can. i like playing on the highway for a little while each night, so i need to be able to go from 0-110 in a heartbeat, but i need the truck to do atleast 150. i know it's asking a lot out of that truck and the cam can be changed from what i have lined up. if you have suggestions toss 'em this way, i'm open to what ya'll have to say, need all the help i can get, don't wanna blow anything up.
Old 11-27-2006, 10:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

If you weren't a cop I probably wouldn't mention that longtubes mean messing with the catalytic converters, which is a federal emmissions law violation.
Old 11-27-2006, 10:12 PM
Teching In

it's only a violation if you move them. i know i said i was putting a ory on, but i have considered the whole dealing with the feds, they aren't nice people. so i am going to have a custom y built with cats on it.
Old 11-27-2006, 10:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

BTW, if you plan on taking a truck up to 150, you need to look into extremely good quality driveshafts. Most truck driveshafts are so long that they can't safely turn high rpm's.
Old 11-27-2006, 10:21 PM
Teching In

appreciate it gametech, i didn't think about that. where can i get a good strong ds?
Old 11-27-2006, 10:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

godamn the cops dont need a fast tahoe running around- although i would like to get pulled over bye one...
Old 11-27-2006, 10:44 PM
TECH Junkie

appreciate it gametech, i didn't think about that. where can i get a good strong ds?
Get the driveshaft high speed balanced and it will be fine. Long tubes will work with the stock y-pipe. It will need to be modified a little, but it will work.
Old 11-27-2006, 11:00 PM
Teching In

thanks
Old 11-27-2006, 11:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

this truck has to be set up as a road race/ oval track car.
I would never even dream of setting up my tahoe for road race or oval track. At 150 MPH you might want to consider brakes. What do you have planned for the suspension?

Quick Reply: 11psi tahoe