Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valve retainer dropped?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 07:37 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Valve retainer dropped?

ok guys, I am ready to swap my cam, but i have never done a spring swap before, and I am to chicken to do my 1st one on my SS. how easy is it to lose a retainer or lock down a pushrod hole? should I buy extra retainers, I know if I drop one down there I am screwed, how awkward of a job is it to grab the rear ones while compressing the spring?
Old 11-27-2006, 07:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Its not that difficult. Just take your time and use some rags to block the holes around the spring you are working on the help with not dropping anything. Oh, also, a pen magnet is your best friend.....
Old 11-27-2006, 08:18 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like you are doing on the car so buy a good valve spring compressor tool (a good tool will be well worth the money especially if you will be doing this again on a regular basis) and a compression tester adapter so that can fill the cylinder with compressed air to hold the valves up. Just as a precaution for nervous/slippery fingers, tape off all of the holes (intake runners, pushrod) and you should be good.
Old 11-27-2006, 11:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The Crane/Vinci tool is made for the rear of an f-body where you can't see. Check Vinci's web site for web specials. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Stuff clean rags in the oil drain holes and cover other areas other than where you are working so if you drop one you can find it and it won't go where it isn't wanted either.
Old 11-27-2006, 12:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blkbird
Oh, also, a pen magnet is your best friend.....

I agree.

R/

Frat