General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Surge problem in Overdrive?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 07:07 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Surge problem in Overdrive?

This is not an LS1 question, but I was hoping maybe someone could help me with this? Here is the situation with my 2000 Grand Prix GTP:

In overdrive with the torque converter locked up at highway speeds (50-70mph) this is most common. With or without the cruise on when you lightly depress the gas pedal say going up a hill or just accelerating, just before the converter should unlock or the tranny should down shift I get a bad surge, say about 500 rpm's back and forth until I push the gas pedal past this point a little farther or tapping it hard to force the converter unlock/tranny shift. Any ideas what might be causing this? There is a TSB on this issue for non super charged cars, I tried anyway, it was to replace the TPS sensor, but it did not help? I know these cars have a 2 stage fuel pump with a resistor built in to the system that controls this, and the other day the fuel pump fuse blew, I replaced it and have no issues with the fuse since, don't know it is related, but thought I would throw it out there.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Surge problem in Overdrive?