Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Getting my Modded LS1 Smog legal

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 03:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting my Modded LS1 Smog legal

We are thinking of relocating to San Diego and the wife wants me to loose my 99 LS1 with the excuse that it wont pass emissions. The car has AFR 205s/lt headers/comp cam (mild)/magna flow catback. It has performance cats and mufflers. Will I have any problem getting it through. Also, any tips/shops that test in San Diego. Hopefully I can continue to Z my way down the freeways.

Thanks
Old 11-28-2006, 04:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you need stock manifolds or shortie headers.. with the STOCK cats.. EGR and AIR working.. heads dont matter.. the cam might if its too much.. like over .224 .224

if you have a friend in FL that will let you use his address for the time being.. do that, and keep it registered until you figure out what to do...
Old 11-28-2006, 04:57 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the info. I have a ls2 manifold, but the headers are LT and the cats are aftermarket. The cam is a compLSX 224/228/114xer. A couple of shops (LA) told me I should be o.k., but I have heard that alot of people in California going shortie headers. I don't feel like switching headers/cats. It looks like it's going to be a hassle. Maybe I'll just pick up a Miata out there (only kidding).
Old 11-28-2006, 05:27 PM
TECH Regular

just pay $200 or so everytime you smog, or the best like goblin said us a buddies address in FL.
Old 11-28-2006, 05:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

the FL address will only be good for 6th months after that the cops will nail you it they want.....
Old 11-29-2006, 10:58 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by allblacksrt4
just pay $200 or so everytime you smog, or the best like goblin said us a buddies address in FL.

Is this a fine? I can handle paying this off every two years. Thanks again for the information.
Old 11-29-2006, 11:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Juiced
the FL address will only be good for 6th months after that the cops will nail you it they want.....
no no no...

I live in 1 state and have my cars registered in another..

you get a CA driver lic,.. but have the CAR registered in another state.. "IF" you get pulled over.. the cop is not going to say anything at all... "IF" he does.. you simply state you have another home in FL.. and you just brought this car out... they can not make you switch your tags if you state this.. nor will they ask you to prove ownership of the home.. they dont have that right.

I've been pulled over about 8 times in 3 years by CA police... only 2 have questioned the out of state address for the car... never had a problem
Old 11-29-2006, 11:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 99zdtop
Is this a fine? I can handle paying this off every two years. Thanks again for the information.
No, he means finding a "friend" in the smogging buisiness and getting him to pass you by paying him a little under the table. It's not easy to find someone like this, but if you can then you're lucky. People who will do this are rare. Even if you do find someone, they can only pass you on the visual, your car still needs to burn clean as the smog system is very automated these days.
Old 11-29-2006, 01:54 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
No, he means finding a "friend" in the smogging buisiness and getting him to pass you by paying him a little under the table. It's not easy to find someone like this, but if you can then you're lucky. People who will do this are rare. Even if you do find someone, they can only pass you on the visual, your car still needs to burn clean as the smog system is very automated these days.
you are wrong my friend, corvettes,camaros, gto's all have the same readines tests for the obd 2 port, so just find a stock ls1 car, and throw it on the rollers and hook that up to the obd 2 datalink., and scan the bar code that is on your registration paper into the computer.