Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant smell?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 11:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant smell?

Today after a 20 mile drive on the freeway I noticed a coolant smell after I popped the hood. I had a head/cam install about a month and a half ago with no noticable problems since. No overheating or loss in performance at all. I see no leaks and I can't feel any liquid around the base of the heads.
Its only when I popped the hood that I got a big wiff of coolant from the drivers side head. Last time I smelt this was when I completed the head/cam install right after I started the motor. It smelt like that for a few days but then went away.
Now next to the head on the drivers side there is the coolant resoirvor tank. Could I have been smelling this and not something else? I've always assumed that the tank is sealed and you can't possible smell anything from it. A friend of mine told me otherwise. He says its probably the tank giving off coolant fumes from the cap not being sealed properly.
I checked the dip stick and didn't notice anything abnormal. But I did notice alittle bit of condinsation in the oil fill cap with alittle guk. Can anyone chime in with any ideas?

BTW this is on a 2004 Pontiac GTO if it helps any.

Last edited by LITE SPD; 11-28-2006 at 11:09 PM.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well mine did this bout a year ago and it was the water pump gaskets starting to seep, look around and underneath the waterpump and c if there is residue. Maybe itll b just that and nothing major!
Old 11-28-2006, 11:22 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by juicedls1
Well mine did this bout a year ago and it was the water pump gaskets starting to seep, look around and underneath the waterpump and c if there is residue. Maybe itll b just that and nothing major!
Wouldn't I see any loss in coolant in the coolant tank? It is still showing full.

Last edited by LITE SPD; 11-28-2006 at 11:28 PM.
Old 11-29-2006, 11:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Depends on much its leaking out, i couldnt notice any loss either, it was just enough to create a smell!

Quick Reply: Coolant smell?